• Flat Black

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Black

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters
-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
I dont know what to do with the engine bay.
Should I have it the same color as the car?
or
Flat black?
or
Black?

Did mine gloss black just cause. Makes it easy to fix the bad spots too. Bodie colour would look great but i didn't know what colour i was going to spray!

TF

body color

faucet pics 289.jpg

I liked the way the factory did it so I went with body color. But like they said above its yours do what ever makes you happy. The only other thing I can say is its a pain so do what you want the first time and do it right

grill and stering 003 (Small).jpg

engine bay 006.JPE

GM cars came from the factory black.
Thats one thing I always liked more about mopars the engine compartment, trunk, & interior (under carpet) being painted body color, just seems like a better product. I voted for body color and would think resale would be higher if the painting was done nicely or left factory vs Black

GM cars came from the factory black.
Thats one thing I always liked more about mopars the engine compartment, trunk, & interior (under carpet) being painted body color, just seems like a better product. I voted for body color and would think resale would be higher if the painting was done nicely or left factory vs Black

It's your call but I agree with this post ... asking other's opinions will only confuse you more. Either you do what you want to do, or live by other's opinions. Lead or follow ? Rebel or robot ? People or sheeple ? Just kidding, I'm just as guilty - can't ever make up my mind!

Body color of course. I have had both on the cuda and by far with no comparison the body color looks much much better. It brightens up the engine bay and it doesn't feel like I'm working in a black hole when I'm tuning, changing spark plugs, etc....

body colour..its definatly worth the extra work in the end

If you have the engine OUT of the car, then take a little extra time and a few bucks to match the paint to the car.........

If the engine is IN the car, then you can do a MUCH better job using a good grade of black (NOT flat for cryin' out loud.......SATIN or semi-gloss looks a thousand percent better than flat.....night and day.....)

With the engine in the car, it's nearly impossible to get a needed coverage all around........With satin black, it's very forgiving on older cars IF you properly prep your chips and scratches.

I'm a body color kinda guy,but accidents happen,minds get changed and doo-doo occurs,I am painting my car blue,so blue engine compartment.........oh shoot I changed my mind......car is white with blue stripes,thank god for the red engine to carry my colors it's kinda growin on me now.paint it any color you want it.lot of good points to painting it black,if you do a lot of engine work or tuning,easy to touch up easy to keep clean,so the last cars I raced were all red white and blue so i'm good with it!!Lol any color you want just as long as you are happy with it :cheers:
I might add a red pinstripe to the out side of the waggin .......if I can make up my mind Lol

engine  bay.JPG

two for two.JPG

small striped waggin.JPG

figure eight win.jpg

Body color..leave that black stuff for the brand-x guys,that is of coarse if your car is black,then by all means black it is..

well I like both....according to what your plan is with the car..show or race. I like simi gloss or low gloss for a regular hot rod strip car..but for a show car body color is the ticket. Chuck

While the original reasons for the body color engine bay were likely driven by costs and manufacturing simplicity (not having to mask stuff, etc.) it has a nice flow with the rest of the car. It depends what you're going for. If you're after the visual effect of the engine standing apart from the rest of the car, satin black makes a nice, neutral boundary. Should you have some bizarre fetish for masking, a 1/2" checkerboard pattern of black and body color or some other pattern may be just the thing.

Personally, I'm a simplicity enthusiast.

It's up to you. Do what you feel you would like. I painted mine semi-gloss black. I didn't know what color we were going to paint the car. I had to put the engine in and it was at my buddies garage ( I had to put my car together on my lawn because I don't have a garage) so I had a certain amount of time to put the engine in. I do like it black.

Fred B

Im all for the "its your car do what YOU want" way of thinking. I didnt like the way my front end looked with the blue body color showing through the grilles. So Im painting it charcoal to match the wide body stripe Im doing as well as the engine bay that color. If it were a restoration to get it back to original stock then of course go body color. Other than that I just see it as another area to be creative and make your car distinct if thats what you want.

-
Back