Engine Bay Paint Removal Help Needed

-

74desertduster

Reaction score
So I have my 74 Dart Sport with it's original yellow paint. The paint is decent enough that I want to keep it.

But the previous owner spray canned the engine bay black befoew putting in the new engine....so the original yellow is underneath.

Any ideas how I can safely strip the spray can black and not totally screw up the yellow underneath?

It's my driver so pulling the engine etc is not an option.

Thanks!

Brian

Maybe try a little rubbing compound? Hopefully they didn't sand the old finish down with sandpaper, you probably should plan on repainting it, good luck!

I have peeled some off by hand and the yellow underneath is in great shape. Tried Acetone and some steel wool with no luck....

I used "easy-off" oven cleaner to take lettering off a car once. It took off the cheap stuff, and didn't hurt my original paint. A good coat of wax after might be needed. Try it on a small spot first, and don't leave it on too long....just in case.

i would try goof off. if that dont work mix 50% lacquer thinner. if you dont soak the rag and gently work small areas it should work. dont try too get it all of this way just the majority. then get the rest with compound.

I'd use pressure washer first, then lacquer thinner on old tshirt followed by compound, there is a good chance you'll bust through in some areas, so prepare to do some touchup

I used "easy-off" oven cleaner to take lettering off a car once. It took off the cheap stuff, and didn't hurt my original paint. A good coat of wax after might be needed. Try it on a small spot first, and don't leave it on too long....just in case.

Really???

Easy off works great on greasy car parts. I use it after an initial pressure wash to get the chunky stuff off.

It takes paint off plastic with ease, lol.

My vote is for thinner. The black paint is probably rattle canned, the thinner should remove it and leave the more durable factory yellow intact. But try it in an inconspicuous spot first. Thinner is cheap. Wear gloves and a mask.

Let us know how it works out- I have the same issue.

i just did my engine compartment with brake clean after a chevy guy painted it black with rattle cans and it came out just fine.

-
Back