Engine Bay Paint Suggestions

-

wes beem

Reaction score
Howdy Folks, Got a 71 Duster that will be getting the exterior painted in a Satin or semi gloss Black.

Would Y'all do the engine bay satin black to match? or something else.

298014808_624979798942294_4418306236830763649_n.jpg

Sorry, I don't think much of satin black engine compartments. That's kind of a point of pride in my mopar fandom. Satin black looks tacky in an engine bay. It's more of a GM & Furd thing. But that's just me. You do you.

Sorry, I don't think much of satin black engine compartments. That's kind of a point of pride in my mopar fandom. Satin black looks tacky in an engine bay. It's more of a GM & Furd thing. But that's just me. You do you.
What if the exterior is satin black? What color do you paint it in that instance?

Howdy Folks, Got a 71 Duster that will be getting the exterior painted in a Satin or semi gloss Black.

Would Y'all do the engine bay satin black to match? or something else.

View attachment 1715973061
Paint under the hood the same as the body color. I squirted my 66 gloss black and have caught crap ever since.

Paint under the hood the same as the body color. I squirted my 66 gloss black and have caught crap ever since.
I'd paint the engine compartment the same color the car was originally. Do a good job, because it's the kind of job you only want to do once. At some point you or a future owner will get tired of the satin black. If the engine compartment is already done in original color it can be a selling point instead of a negative point.

Paint it whatever color you will paint the exterior, even if that is satin black. I would not paint it satin black with a semi gloss exterior. That would look weird.

Thanks guys. Gives me some new points to think about.

Same as the exterior, you did say it's a Mopar after all. 65'

If it was my car, I would paint it back to the original green, with a green engine bay. That green is a bitchen color when the car is done.

Body color so it does not look half-assed.
opBPFj.jpg

First, let me say that I do not personally like satin or semi-gloss black on cars. So, I would vote for going back to F8 green. That being said, my first vote would be to paint the engine compartment gloss black. I think that would be a nice offset to satin or SG black. second vote would be to match the exterior.

First, let me say that I do not personally like satin or semi-gloss black on cars. So, I would vote for going back to F8 green. That being said, my first vote would be to paint the engine compartment gloss black. I think that would be a nice offset to satin or SG black. second vote would be to match the exterior.

It is definitely an acquired taste. We are going for the Full on Murdered Look on this one. I had a Green Dart a few years back, was actually about the same shade of green so doing something a bit different this time. The one thing i hate about a black engine bay is that it Hides leaks.

It is definitely an acquired taste. We are going for the Full on Murdered Look on this one. I had a Green Dart a few years back, was actually about the same shade of green so doing something a bit different this time. The one thing i hate about a black engine bay is that it Hides leaks.
My son had a "murdered-out" Suzuki. It didn't take long before he was tired of that and repainted it. Whenever I'm considering car paint colors, that's one of my first questions to myself: 'Am I going to get tired of looking at this color in a couple of years?'

It's your car. If you want the engine bay pink with yellow and purple polka dots, rainbows and unicorns, go for it and to HELL with what anybody else thinks, especially those self proclaimed Mopar "experts" that have to always be right. Piss on um. It's your car. Do it like you want to.

It's your car. If you want the engine bay pink with yellow and purple polka dots, rainbows and unicorns, go for it and to HELL with what anybody else thinks, especially those self proclaimed Mopar "experts" that have to always be right. Piss on um. It's your car. Do it like you want to.

Fair. And not often heard by mopar fans

If you paint the engine bay a semi gloss or flat black, it will NOT hide leaks. The leaks will be shiny, the paint will not be. I was going to suggest not painting the engine bay satin black for that reason, it looks like crap when it gets oil on it because it will show up shiny against the flat paint. But if you're worried about hiding leaks, well, satin black will not do that.

As for the rest of the car, paint it whatever you like. If the next owner gets tired of it, they can paint it. There's a really good chance when my Challenger gets painted it will be "hot rod" black- a nice satin black that's a little richer than flat black primer.

If you paint the engine bay a semi gloss or flat black, it will NOT hide leaks. The leaks will be shiny, the paint will not be. I was going to suggest not painting the engine bay satin black for that reason, it looks like crap when it gets oil on it because it will show up shiny against the flat paint. But if you're worried about hiding leaks, well, satin black will not do that.

As for the rest of the car, paint it whatever you like. If the next owner gets tired of it, they can paint it. There's a really good chance when my Challenger gets painted it will be "hot rod" black- a nice satin black that's a little richer than flat black primer.

Oh thats comforting, yeah i am a bit of an oddball, i painted everything in my kitchen white, white cabinets, white countertops ext, and everyone was like THAT WILL LOOK DIRTY AS **** AND WONT HIDE ANY OF THE MESS!!!! and im like thats the point....you can SEE WHERE THE MESS IS SO YOU CAN CLEAN IT UP/FIX IT.

Id like to apply the same principal to my engine bay, i dont wanna hide leaks i want to address them. So this is very solid info, the whole hiding stuff bit was really my only reservation about going black.

FULL SEND!!!!

as for the next owner, there wont be one...im driving this one straight through the gates of Hell. I sold a mopar once, and it crushed me. Never again.

-
Back