Engine bay paint

-
Yup! No reason not to give it a go. Good paint in a can, or go buy a spray gun and practice on some junk first. It's a skill and toolset you'll appreciate having in the future. If you can paint a fence, you can paint an engine bay. It's not hard to DIY the internals. Just be sure to keep track of color codes and product used so the body shop can choose their steps wisely when finishing.

Learning to fit sheetmetal and remove dings and dents is a whole other level, and not something everyone is comfortable learning or doing. Pros know how to get it done and done proper. But all the stuff you don't see from outside is fair game IMO.

Also, strip and repaint or seal and repaint over the copper first. If you don't, normal body flex is likely to crack your paint at some point and eventually you'll be under the hood and seeing copper through cracks, chips, and rub marks. Copper will show super obvious through turquoise, so I wouldn't even entertain only painting after assembly.

I’m usually one to try anything at least once. But dang I just don’t want to mess up

Body work, I was just gonna call the dent puller people. 99 bucks they come to your house and pull the dent in 20 minutes. :poke:

@Oldmanmopar the copper looks sweet. I’ve never seen a full on copper colored car before so I’m not sure how I would like it when it’s done. I know for a fun performance car you can’t go wrong with some of the brighter/ high impact colors.

I’m usually one to try anything at least once. But dang I just don’t want to mess up

Body work, I was just gonna call the dent puller people. 99 bucks they come to your house and pull the dent in 20 minutes. :poke:

If you're not gonna paint it all yourself, I'd let the body shop pull the dents. Fewer changes for finger pointing between parties.

If you're going to paint it, then by all means have someone else massage it out!

I'd definitely paint the bay with the fenders off though. However you plan to put color to it.

If you're not gonna paint it all yourself, I'd let the body shop pull the dents. Fewer changes for finger pointing between parties.

If you're going to paint it, then by all means have someone else massage it out!

I'd definitely paint the bay with the fenders off though. However you plan to put color to it.

I don’t think I’m painting it. Heck I don’t even know if I will do the final sand before painting it… idk what kind of block sanding and stuff it will need anyways. I’m barely a mechanical guy so I’m dang sure not a body and paint guy. Lol.

If I massage the dents out I’d use my good ol trusty BFH…. So better to let a professional do it.

I don’t think I’m painting it. Heck I don’t even know if I will do the final sand before painting it… idk what kind of block sanding and stuff it will need anyways. I’m barely a mechanical guy so I’m dang sure not a body and paint guy. Lol.

If I massage the dents out I’d use my good ol trusty BFH…. So better to let a professional do it.

Motorcycles are a good way to learn painting skills. Less area to paint, lots of curves. Easy to redo if you mess up ;)

It's how I cut my teeth, but I'd never tackle a full car.. Maybe a fiberglass body, but not a steel bodied car. Too much dang work! Makes my fingers hurt just thinking about it.

Paint it.

I think I am going to. Well not me specifically, I’ll find someone to do it but that will also be a challenge as I’d hate to get ripped off.

Right now just test fitting body parts.

Don’t mind the garage, it’s a mess and I don’t have tons of room in it for all the extra parts.

0D5899B8-1A2E-4EB8-8AE8-3E74EC2639B8.jpeg

32558C6E-4C5D-4D09-90AF-757D2A69B32F.jpeg

D6F58424-5167-4354-8C92-9B678652C58B.jpeg

7B29D780-0A8B-4854-AFCF-1A19C039A54E.jpeg

You don't know what a mess is until you walk in my garage.

You probably have a much larger garage than I do.

Here’s how much room I had to put the passenger door on.

Going to either have to fix my trunk lid or buy a new one, the dent on the lid actually made a hole.

0D3ADC91-5EAE-4251-A817-7CE74E25F475.jpeg

040392DC-0667-4050-B529-A185E7885BAF.jpeg

991EDD4D-F72C-46FF-8221-6CB30A10947E.jpeg

70C5C9A1-2D14-422E-AC9F-D95DDB49486F.jpeg

21EF218D-28BC-481E-AE49-808924AC47AB.jpeg

52770137-0F61-4E5C-91FE-D448DEC5AB83.jpeg

FF43BF3E-6D5A-4123-87DD-F5CE04C30F41.jpeg

Pull it with a stud gun and weld it. Rust free parts are hard to get. Damage is better then rust.

We raced in the Ozark Mt. Ava Missouri. 2007 extreme atv dirt track nationals.

Pull it with a stud gun and weld it. Rust free parts are hard to get. Damage is better then rust.

We raced in the Ozark Mt. Ava Missouri. 2007 extreme atv dirt track nationals.

I think I know what that is, but I don’t know how to do it.

I’ve never been to Ava, have a lot of patients from Ava though. It’s a very small city/town about 45 minutes from my office.

Cars take up enough room as it is. Once you start pulling them apart, you realize you need an insane amount of room to store everything.

Made an executive decision. Car is staying T5. The color has grown on me way to much especially seeing how good stranges swinger paint came out in the members lounge. plus Bentley will get a B5 blue dart soon…

Ordered fender gasket kit from DMT. Trying to decide if I should install them or take them back off and let the shop do it. Because I scratch things and the fender clips scratch and chip the paint when putting them on.

C65E7E8D-6C5F-4C62-A779-A5AC61C69AC3.jpeg

7D7E938C-0D42-4B82-AA0E-54B7EFD3BAB6.jpeg

99FDAE2D-CCF4-4D18-A019-B8527A384D9A.jpeg

7FD8A63E-4315-42DE-BD1E-80E5A4CAC4FC.jpeg

30A63A32-C0E5-409F-BA12-9C9757F26608.jpeg

378910A3-39D7-456C-854B-05D8F3D1C71F.jpeg

I think I know what that is, but I don’t know how to do it.

I’ve never been to Ava, have a lot of patients from Ava though. It’s a very small city/town about 45 minutes from my office.

That ding is worth repairing. It'll be a ton more work fitting a new deck.

Get a scrap fender and a hammer & dolly and practice. Watch a few videos first and get the concept from that. Massaging little guys like that isn't terribly hard. Worst case the body shop will charge you a couple hundred more.

It's not hard to get most of a dent like that out. A body shop could tack the hole shut and finish it off when the time comes.

-
Back