Engine bay questions

-

DCtruckin

Reaction score
Not sure this is the correct forum page for this...

In my 71 swinger w/ 318 I am replacing the plug wires and want to re-route my heater hoses. Just going to run accel 8mm wires, and more curious how you guys are routing your wires mainly on the driver side to clear the taller exhaust manifold. And then also as you can see in the pics my heater hoses just rest on the valve cover. I’ve seen on some B bodies these other brackets(pics of the yellow car) are those brackets on the fender well and alternator something that would be on an A body? What are they called and where could a guy get them? And mine is a factory ac car but all the ac is removed. Do I really need that valve in line of my heater hose or can I pull it out and save it for later if I put ac back on?Any pics of your routing are appreciated thanks.

1C85E862-C8D8-46C2-911F-5A1FEC770A27.jpeg

BD3E687F-F68C-4573-B42F-CFD5B414DFE6.jpeg

2A0204A3-8D44-4902-9097-2DF56D53F87F.jpeg

47E5623F-E051-46D9-8513-9F0390466BAD.jpeg

Not a 71 Swinger, but here's my 66 Barracuda. A cable tie was added where the certicard would mount.

Mine is also an original a/c car but the valve is mounted on the inner fender.

IMG_20200623_160005.jpg

Thanks, the picture was just after I swapped in a 5.9 Magnum. A year and a half later, it's still somewhat clean but not quite that clean, lol

I switched over to black plug wires since then.

The heater hose bracket was on big blocks but if your not doing a concourse restoration go for it.
The one attached to the cylinder head by the dip stick was available on small blocks in the 70s I believe, no reason not using one, they are easy to pick up brand new.

The heater hose bracket was on big blocks but if your not doing a concourse restoration go for it.
The one attached to the cylinder head by the dip stick was available on small blocks in the 70s I believe, no reason not using one, they are easy to pick up brand new.

ya this definitely isn’t anywhere close to a concourse car. Just a good old fashioned driver quality car. Good to know on those brackets thanks

Do I really need that valve in line of my heater hose or can I pull it out and save it for later if I put ac back on?Any pics of your routing are appreciated thanks.

The valve in line with your heater hose is your heater control valve. When you push heat on the dash, vacuum opens the valve and allows water to flow into your heater core. If you want heat, you will need it.

69 up A-bodies all have that dimple on the lower side of the inner fender for the heater hose bracket. Not all 69 up used it though.

Another thing... what is the proper filter for the end of the trans breather?
DAF6A45E-3DE4-4506-9902-45FD0C4C9E0C.jpeg

All of the original routing went on the inner fenderwell, that is where your temp control valve mounts. You can fudge things around to make it look presentable, as an in between the above pictures. You would have to find stock valve covers to route your plug wires as factory looking. There may have been heat sheilds or a stove cover on the drivers manifold. The one picture above looks like a very nice alternative.

That is not a trans breather, it's the metal line end and a set of rubber hoses went up to a charcoal canister, fuel tank vent. That's on my '72 Dart anyway.

Last edited:
That is not a trans breather, it's the metal line end and a set of rubber hoses went up to a charcoal canister, fuel tank vent. That's on my '72 Dart anyway.

on a 71 and a i think 70 california ars a rubber line went from there to the valve cover breather.. its not a trans vent.

Haha I don't know why I typed trans breather LOL. I just wasn't sure what was supposed to be there. what are you guys doing with it if you have aftermarket valve covers? my breather is driver side. anyone have pics of it hooked up and plumbed?

Got all the plug wires made and ran, along with the heater hoses and brackets. Looks much cleaner and everything doesn’t just sit on the valve cover. Get all the winter time bugs worked out of it again and start daily driving it!
22E4E6E5-0534-4B10-B28A-50AB357D46CC.jpeg

-
Back