engine bay resto...

-

xwaynestaticx03

Reaction score
i need to fix some rust problems on the radiator support and inner fender sections of the engine bay of my duster. what i need to know is, can i remove the rad. support and inner fenders at the spot welds from the frame and not have to brace the engine bay? the motor is out of the car, so there isnt alot of weight in the bay itself. my thinking is that it will be easier to patch/fix the parts off the car in my barn. thanks for the replies...

If you remove all that, there won't be an "engine bay". I would have to assume you are pulling fenders, hood, etc. If you want to take rad support, inners together, you shouldn't have to brace them, but it might make it easier to carry.

im sorry, my post was probably confusing... yes i want to remove the entire engine bay basically, just wanted to make sure nothings going to collapse. i didnt think it would, but i figured i better ask you guys that have done this kind of work before. i can see what you mean about bracing the engine bay, like between the two inner fenders. i could see how that would get flimsy and hard to carry/handle if i left it as is. thanks for the reply

Bill, with no engine or significant weight on the front you'll likely be OK.

Personally, I would just run a bar to keep it from sagging before removing the inners. The inners are an integral part of the doghouse structure. Part of the reason that you can't really take out the inner fenders without running a bar from a roll cage to the front clip. They provide stability for the the front clip folding up on itself.

As long as the k frame remains, the core support isn't an issue

my two cents and worth even less than you paid. 8)

Is the engine out? And more importantly, is the K-Member still attached? If so place the car on stands under the unibody and under the K-Member. DON"T MOVE THE CAR once you start cutting/welding. Cross-measure the engine compartment before you cur out the old radiator support so you can put the new one in the same place (and/or square withe the firewall). Then, if you need to replace inner fenders do so one at a time. This way you use the body as it's own jig. If you were to cut everything away all at once and then try to get it all to line up again, you would have no point of reference. Replace one panel at a time, even if you have to tack a panel you will be replacing onto new work.

-
Back