engine block surface rust!!!!

-

scampy72

Reaction score
AHHHHHHHH HOW DO I GET RID OF IT?!?!!?!?!

its not too much cause there is paint on moztof the block but its like where the timing cover... covers and things. so what the best way to get rid of it? i was thinking brillo pads, am i on the right track???

thanks

Marc

try soaking scotch brite pads in penetrating oil n sanding on the rust. it should remove it and leave a oily residue for protection. but that depends on how rusty it is! has worked for me. good luck!

thanks guys im gonna go at it tomorrow i think. i doesnt look that bad, i hadnt checked on it in a while and now this. i wanna get it off cause im ordering the gasket kit tomorrow as well so i can build it.

so brillo pads with WD40 is what im lookin at right now.

CLR & a brush. When you're done rinse it off with the hose.
Dry it with compressed air & rags, then coat the block with WD40.
BEFORE you put the pistons in a recently bored or honed block, use automatic trans fluid on paper towels. Keep doing it until the black stuff stops coming off. I don't care how clean it is, the trans fluid will get the cylinders much cleaner.
Once the motor is assembled, clean the WD40 off the iron block with your favorite degreaser, and paint it.......................turquoise. :D

Good Luck!

George

thanks guys im gonna go at it tomorrow i think. i doesnt look that bad, i hadnt checked on it in a while and now this. i wanna get it off cause im ordering the gasket kit tomorrow as well so i can build it.

so brillo pads with WD40 is what im lookin at right now.

I wouldn't use brillo you could scratch things. I use scotch brite, they have a couple different choices coarse to fine.

I soaked some surface rust connecting rods in strong vinegar for about a week and they came out very nice, dont get bearings in there. I like that CLR too, but I was out..

CLR & a brush. When you're done rinse it off with the hose.
Dry it with compressed air & rags, then coat the block with WD40.
BEFORE you put the pistons in a recently bored or honed block, use automatic trans fluid on paper towels. Keep doing it until the black stuff stops coming off. I don't care how clean it is, the trans fluid will get the cylinders much cleaner.
Once the motor is assembled, clean the WD40 off the iron block with your favorite degreaser, and paint it.......................turquoise. :D

Good Luck!

George

xactly what I was gonna say.

-
Back