Engine bogs, nearly dies?

-

mopar_rob2001

Green Machine
Reaction score
So if I punch the accelerator and quickly release it the engine bogs so low it nearly dies. It doesn't do it if the car is in park or neutral only when its under a load. It also doesn't do it if at speed say over 20mph. Only when between say 0-10 mph. is this a timing issue? Thanks for all the help FABO members!

Just did some research and found out my carb is a 770cfm, this seems too big for a basically stock 360 yes?

Hopefully some other peeps with more experience will chime in.

If you run your engine size, planned RPM's, and volumetric efficiency through a CFM calculator it shows your engine needing a smaller carb, but that may not be the problem.

I read an article in HotRod mag. or MoparMuscle mag. w/e and they had a similar problem. They had taken out the (2) metal filters on their Holley DP where the fuel lines mate to the carb. Problem went away when they put both filters back in. I think that would mean that the fuel bowls were filling up too much when they lifted off the throttle. May be a float adjustment thats in line? Just an idea.

Either way, I would make one change at a time and then go test drive your vehicle.

Bad Shrimp

Well there is no hesitation or stumbling, I think "bogs" was a poor choice of words, it revs instantly but when the RPMs begin to drop they drop far too low probably 300-350.

When you open the throttle up all the way,is there a steady squirt of fuel shooting into the primary's{not running}??When your driving and you wack it,is there black smoke out the exhaust untill the RPM comes up or no smoke and the car just falls on it's face??

its not a steady stream just squirts, no smoke, its not an accelerating prob at all, its when the RPM's fall they fall too low and it almost dies. In fact if the engine is cold, it will die

Side note: I'm in Tacoma, if you have a Holley and decide to adjust squirters or accelerator pump cams, etc I have the kit with all that stuff (no jet kit though). You can borrow it, take what you need, put back what you dont use.

Bad Shrimp

once its warm, after punching accelerator and releasing the revs drop really low around 300-350 if not lower for about a second or two then returns to 700-750 rpms, normal idling.

Check for vacuum leak when throttle blades close it might be sucking air resulting in a lean condition

I just put the same carb on my 360 didthe same thing I took the grren accelerator pump cam out switched it with a red one works perfect now some guys suggested the blue one but I didnthave that one.

-
Back