engine break in with new headers?

-

freshayr

Reaction score
I was just reading the TTI warranty and they say "don't use your new TTI headers for engine break in due to high potential temps" Does anybody have any experience here? Is that just warranty anal talk or should I not do that. I hate to spend $600 on header and mess them up on breakin.

When you are breaking in a fresh motor you run it at approx 2000 rpm with no load for 20 minutes or so. You can generate enough heat (I have seenheader tubes glowing red hot right at the head) to turn the chrome blue and potentially damage it or damage the ceramic coating if the headers are of that type. TTI is covering ther butts to prevent claims for discolored or damged coatings on the headers.

you have a 50/50 shot of them being fine. For the money, I'd pop on a cheap set of logs to break it in backpressure wont hurt anything..With any coating like that, if you start it with them, run until warm, then shut off ant let cool of..do that cycle a few times before you go and whip up on it..the finish will stay nicer longer, and will not rust as quickly.

I've seen new ceramic coating blister form too much heat on break-in. Not a bad idea to use a cheap set for break-in, a pain yes, but may be worth it in case your tune up is slightly off.

Bringing old post back to life. Would this hold true for a roller cam, not sure what generates the excessive heat on breakin? I should be able to shut down before excess heat and cycle afew times with roller correct?

-
Back