Engine Build Help Small Block Guys

-

66VALIANT

Reaction score
ALRIGHT first off this is what they guy said "Block +30,cast flat-top 30 pistons w/moly rings,reconditioned floating pin rods w/SPS bolts,forged crank cut 10/10 w/bearings,1pr.77(?) 318 heads and 1 pr. 273 closed chamber heads.Pistons,rings,bearings new,not assembled since crank was cut" What are sps bolts, forged crank is good right, pistons are 30 over if i understand that right, are moly rings good and floating pins, why would you grind a crank and what heads do i use understanding both will need work heads on the 273 will need unleaded seats what would i have to do to mount the 318 heads on it can i use a 318 timing cover and oil pan ill be using the electronic ignition orange box with stock distributor ill be using a edelbrock intake performer CLICK HERE TO SEE IT becaus i already have it what oil pump timing chain all that junk should i use And what cam its a 4 speed 3.55 gear in a 66 valiant il probablu use a stock 4 bbl holley carb of some 70s or 80s car that im rebuilding out of a junk yard. Thanks guys

Block: what year is the block? I trust its been examined for cracks and everything? the block is important, look into it, not something to be cheap on.

Rods: shot peened, and redone for floating pin stock rods sounds good. they should hold fine.

Pistons: SPS bolts? no idea.. cast pistons will be fine but theyre flat tops, so you have to think about pump gas and what compression your aiming for. And yes, 30 over is just 30 thousands larger to fit the new bore of the block.
The moly rings should be good, any idea on a company? Speed Pro moly rings are nice.

Crank: cut the crank.. hrmm, to fit the small journal mains? You said forged? can you tell us the stroke? is it an old 360 stroke that he had 'cut down' to fit the mains of the smaller journal 3.31 stroke blocks? forged is good yes, but we need stroke numbers.

Heads: The 318's with some porting should do the job, they should be a bolt on, but youll wanna look into new valvetrain with the new cam perhaps, really depends on cam.

Intake: The eddy performer is a good dual plane for mild motors, which is all the 273 should be pumping out, rpm range from what I read is 1500-6000 rpms? or somewhere in that area

Cam: Im not too good about cams, but I can already tell you that you didnt give enough information for the guys to give you a good idea. What kind of idle are you looking for? what kind of performance do you really want out of the 273? its hard to bring big numbers from the little guy, but its torquey.

Thats all I know, good luck pal! :thumbup:
Ryan

"ALRIGHT first off this is what they guy said "Block +30,cast flat-top 30 pistons w/moly rings,reconditioned floating pin rods w/SPS bolts,forged crank cut 10/10 w/bearings,1pr."

A 318 shortblock then? Sounds like a stock rebuild '68-'71 318. SPS is a brand name of bolts. They are good parts. The crank is ground to ture up and flatten the journals. Every crank in a rebuild should be carefully inspected, and I've only ever seen 1 or 2 that didnt neeed grinding and polishing.

As far as heads, if it's using early design flat tops, using the '77 heads would be fine. HAve them redone properly for performance and have the springs to match your cam choice instlled. For me, I'd run a Comp XE256 with manifolds. The XE262 with headers. Both will run nice in that setup. A word of caution, early 273s have a unique angle and bolt arrangement. So your Performer may not fit. Just make sure before you spend the coin on machining the heads. Any timing chain will work. I like Summit Racing's billet dbl roller. Dont forget to at least plastigage the assembly as you install it. Dont trust the seller did all the homework. Check yourself to be sure before something makes you spend twice.

-
Back