Engine Builder Missed These

-
I had a similar incident when I first bought my car.PO barely drove the car maybe 3 times a year.When i got the car it would overheat every 15 mins.Then 1 frost plug leak under headder d.side.Fixed that,then another,fixed that,then heater core(replaced)rad was plugged(replaced)backed the car out and shut the garage door,turned and noticed drips.Well now this was at the back.F. this I,m yanking the motor.Got motor stroked everything is fine now.Apparently P.O never changed anti-freeze in over 10 years.Old a-freeze rotted frost plugs from inside out and the P.O was useing barz-leak stop to band-aid the leaks.All aside I spent a good # of hours chasing frostplug leaks.Also replaced with brass ones.Sorry for long winded story.Hope you have no other problems.

That's a bummer. Even the BEST make mistakes from time to time, but a mistake that big doesn't inspire confidence.

I have to admit that half the reason I dyno'd my engine was to break it in and watch for any problems. Now I know it's good to go.

I hate to admit, but one time I forgot an oil plug under the timing chain cover. Caught it when I did an oil pressure check prior to firing for the first time. Sure glad I took the time to check the oil pressure. Felt pretty stupid for forgetting but pretty smart for ensuring I had oil pressure.
Rod

picture proofs engine was painted with the engine on a engine stand and i can see why those two freeze plugs were the last thing to do to the block.

my motor is currently on a engine stand, and that closest freeze plug is all i have to install which i cant get to yet.

you really should have caught that before tranny install.

good luck.

Yes indeed picture does show that engine was painted on the stand, but not by the machine shop. It was painted after it was delivered as a long block.......While I wish we had caught it before the tranny install, do you think that the freeze plug omission was our responsibility. After all, doesn't a "long block" machining and assembly include these?

While I do feel a very small sense of responsibility here, the bulk of it lies with the builder IMHO.

I only wish that mistake was caught before the tranny install too......Would have saved alot of time and effort.

Thanks for the good luck.....might just need it. :cheers:

I wouldnt sweat the build. its the back of the block... a mere oversight. I wouldnt blame myself either for not seeing that. You werent looking for it... the engine stand prob blocking some of your view back there as well...and when it came time to install you were excited about getting it in...so no blame to you. The unfortunate part is it had to be the back ones which is a pain in the rear. Get it done, give it the once and twice over and stab her back in. Sounds like if anything else weird happens the dude that build it will back you up. Thats what receipts are for. Build it yourself and you only got 1 person to blame and out the $.

good luck

-RPM

-
Back