engine busting up

-
I'm thinking the centrifical has way more than you think. Have you set the total to 32* yet? A typical stock dist has like 28* or more centrifical, and the MP dist can be limited, but generally come with around 28* out of the box. You have to adjust the allen set screws to limit it more. You need to lower centrifical to 20-18*, and then you can run larger amounts of initial for better response. As long as the starting circuit is good enough to turn it over. You have to experiment to find your best. Either a timing tape, or an adjustable light must be used. Engines ping for a bunch of reasons, and the problem is, once it starts, it can be difficult to get them to stop. A really fast burning fuel (pump gas), high heat in the chambers(pump gas/cooling system issues), carbon/oil/deposits in the chambers or on the piston tops, too much ignition advance, too lean a mixture, or too much static compression can all cause either pre-ignition (Pinging) or detonation.

OK put on the MSD Dist and the crane HI 6 Box and it got rid of the busting up. The carb is still a sore point It bogs a little off the line and back fires on the let off when you hit it hard other than that it pulls pretty hard up the rev limiter at 5500.

I was thinking of sticking that 950 on it just for grins, what would be the most likely out come with that much carb?

Also anybody have the part number for the MSD wires with the 45 degree plug ends for a big block?

Does anyone else run a big block in an abody what are the best valve covers to run for the least amount of iterferance.

Chad, the motor will probably handle the 950 ok. My 340 has a 830 on it and it actually made more torque with a 950.

I dont think MSD has a pre cut set for big blocks with the 45* plug end but the straight ends are vari angle and will bend to 45* no problem.

as soon as I get time I am going to stick the 950 on it its been seting for the year I have had it.

I had no clue thay were bendable I fought with those SOBs for an hour guess i know now.

The mildons are the ones on it now but they leak a little and dont seal well. they do clear the Heater Box Fan motor witch is more than can be said for the MOPAR Performance set.

What is the optimum pipe size for the TRI Y headers?? It has 2 1/4 on it now and we were trying to figure out if there would be any HP gains by upgrading the Exhaust.

I run the Tri-y's as well.Even though collector size is 2.5" I still went
with 3" exhaust w/x-pipe all the way back to factory tips.

-
Back