Engine Choice

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
All right guys, I need some advice. As you can see from my avatar, I own a /6 71 dart. I'm in the process of upgrading to disk brakes, swapping out the 7.25 for an 8.25, and adding a 727. The question is, what would be the most economical way to get a small block making around 400 horsepower into this thing. I would really like to build a motor versus buying a crate. I've seen articles with buildups of everything from a 400 hp, zero deck 318 with magnum heads to a 537 hp zero deck 360 that runs on pump gas. Only downfall in my opinion is a solid cam. I wouldnt think that 400 hp is a very hard number to achieve with 10:1 compression and a good set of heads. I'd like to know what yall are builiding or what you have had success with in the past. Oh, a few things that may help. The car wont be a "daily" driver but will be driven quite bit (mostly on the weekends to cruise ins and shows) It will have manual brakes, 3.31 posi rear, 27 inch tires.

SIX PACK! SIX PACK! SIX PACK! SIX PACK!! :blob6::blob6::blob6::blob6::blob6::blob6::blob6:

Sorry about that, it's a disease! OK, I feel better now.

:burnout:

My opinion with those gears is a 360 with mild porting to the heads and a xe268 or with a better stall a xe274 for a bit more lope/power,some kb107s and a rpm intake.My brothers combo is close but a little more gear (3.55s and 26in tires) and compression (10.75) and is good for mid 12s around 108 in a challenger.

I'm sooooooooo with lead69. An excellent idea.
There are plenty of 360's to be had. They respond very well to mods. An excellent bottom end to start with and the rest is cake. It all kind of falls together well. Just take your time and get'er done right.

-
Back