Engine Colour??

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Ok I still ahvent decided on what colour the new engine for the Duster should be.... While I am and will always be a fan of Hemi Orange the car is B-5 Blue and with the blue anodized mopar valve covers and the rest of the car being a black and blue theme I think it might look good black too.

Anyone have a black engine? curious how well a gloss holds up on it and how easily it get those burned on water spots and such

i was going to do my engine black-but decided against it and when hemi orange-LOL but i did some research and couldnt find anything bad about have a black engine-get high temp paint and it should be fine

every engine i have built for myself, i have painted black. to me it stays cleaner looking longer. have you ever seen a street hemi orange after a few thousand miles, talk about stains or oil seepage. bottom line do what you like!

Mine didnt look bad painted orange after a few miles but it lost its shine very fast and never looked as good.... that said I'm used to the "new" black engines but thats no real comparison to a well painted block. Just curious if anyone had some pics or not. The engine is almsot all aftermarket I just was always a sucker for the orange... I do however still us emy factory unsilenced air cleaner so again its black and would work. Anyone have pics of black small blocks?

Here's a pic of a GM :silent: engine to give you an idea. The color may hide a lot of dirt/oil spots down the road but I think the chyrsler colors are best by far. "I" just tend to wipe it down more, that way I'm always checking things out while cleaning.

MOPAR Colors in the LINK

http://www.turbinecar.com/misc/enginecolor.htm

0510ch_crate_08_z (Small).jpg

Hey 71Duster, how's it going? It sounds like you're almost ready to roll with the new engine. Did you go the 360 route or stay with your 340? I think either the hemi orange or black will look good in that B5 engine bay, but as stated, the orange/red combos seem to show oil stains pretty quickly.

if your not restoring back to orignal black is a great color they make a high temp paint that you can get at ace hardware it would work good but it is not glossy

OldVart- Yeah the engine bay is all fixed up and painted, going to hang the fenders after the engines in..... once it gets here. Its built just waiting to get it. I went the 360 route. Was just cheaper then all the machine work and the crank the 340 needed. Considering I got a virgin 360 and crank for 250 bucks. I kept the 340 and have it stored away in a bag in the shed for future use. This way a rod through the block is a piss off.... not a crying event of my numbers matching engine!

I love the chrysler colours... my other issue was even though the paint came from chrysler I always got told -thats chevy orange not chrysler- choices choices... I swear this is almsot as bad as picking a muffler!

i know that i like black engines, but another color that i think is racey, is race hemi orange or some call it omaha orange. mopar used this on its hard core max wedge cars. it does not have the red tint that street hemi orange. just thought i would add to the confusion!

I have always liked the factory look. So I will be using this Max Wedge orange on my 63 ! Ron

120879171.jpg

I think I am going tos tick with hemi orange, as much as I think the black would look great I'm jsut a sucker for the orange. And the colour contrast is actully sorta interesting in a good way with the blue

71Duster, you should be able to get a brass "T" fitting at Home Hardware so you can put both guages on the LD340. I've got the same manifold on my 360 and I was considering doing the same thing this time, although I haven't actually looked for the adapter yet. That orange engine looks really good with that B5 Duster, and the Rockies in the background look great also. :)

Can't see much of it but Hemi Orange for me!!
Also that is a ld340 intake! Man I need to take a new picture. Msd6 installed where washer bottle is, Line loc, and orange box is gone.

IMG_02421-1.jpg

Looks good! I guess I can buy paint now, the block is only painted it what I was told is block prep. To keep it from rusting. He said I could paint right from there. Does anyone ever use primer of anytype or just spray from there?

As far as the intake goes I need to get one of the fittigns to actully come out. Dont think I can go in from the original temp sensor though because I use the factory aircleaner and it looks like it might hit in my pics, was thinking of putting a fitting with a t into the water hose intake fitting...

Just noticed your pic in more detail Tony, is your rad a custom unit? I see the one heater hose coems from the upper rad tank, leaveing lots of room on the intake

one good thing about black is that it will disapate heat faster. works good on an oil pan and radiators

In our 71 duster, the motor was blue factory. I decided to go with black, because a bule motor looked funny in an orange & black car. The bay is orange, and the motor black..... Heres a couple pics.....
Picture_043.gif

Picture_041.gif

Picture046.gif

Picture044.gif

Now, the motor wasnt actually installed, just sitting in the bay to free up some garage room.... Its on the floor right now with the tranny bolted up, waiting on the edelbrock dual plane, and edelbrock 600 electric choke carb.

Triggerjay

What about blue it would go great with the blue car

the black could hide problems with oil leakage that could be very expensive
but would stay cleen longer

The orange engine with the orange aluminum mopar preformance valve covers that is a very nice looking engine and if it needs a car to be in i am sure that my duster wouldn't mind

-
Back