Engine Combo Question

-

supersean

Reaction score
Well Im thinking about buidling a 426 small block stroker motor, using the Ohio Crankshaft kit. Using either a 360 or just a 340 we already have. I really wanna put the Indy Cylinder Heads 360-1 heads and Intake on it, along with prolly a 1.7 roler rocker for roller cam we already have to make it around
.750-.760 lift or so. More than likely itll be backed with a glide. It will be going in a dart, weighing around 2900-3000lbs drag car, full funny car cage, 4 link, 14.5-15w * 32 slicks, dana 60 w/ 6.17 gears. What Im wanting to find out, is how much power you think that combo is capable of making and what assumptions do you have on what the car may run?? Were looking to realistically run 6.20s -6.30s somewhere in that neighborhood, maybe a tad bit faster...Any input or conversation or opinions n what might be better will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

I guy I race with built a 426 small block out of a MP Magnum crate engine. He used a Hughes engines kit and still has the cast iron MP heads on the engine. It runs 10's in the 1/4 in a dakota, but is not anywhere near as radical as you are talking. He rrcommended I build a magnum roller engine in stead of a flat tappet LA engine.

Bob

So the magnum motors supposed to be better for the stroker kit than a later model LA block? why so? just curious. I read a article where they used a magnum motor and made decent power

Well Im thinking about buidling a 426 small block stroker motor, using the Ohio Crankshaft kit. Using either a 360 or just a 340 we already have. I really wanna put the Indy Cylinder Heads 360-1 heads and Intake on it, along with prolly a 1.7 roler rocker for roller cam we already have to make it around
.750-.760 lift or so. More than likely itll be backed with a glide. It will be going in a dart, weighing around 2900-3000lbs drag car, full funny car cage, 4 link, 14.5-15w * 32 slicks, dana 60 w/ 6.17 gears. What Im wanting to find out, is how much power you think that combo is capable of making and what assumptions do you have on what the car may run?? Were looking to realistically run 6.20s -6.30s somewhere in that neighborhood, maybe a tad bit faster...Any input or conversation or opinions n what might be better will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

That engine should make at least 715Hp if not more...depends on the cam, compression, and quality of the intake and exhaust components.
You will tax that stock block in a season or two, so be prepared for the cylinder walls to be way out of round on tear down.
Use the TD rockers with the Indy heads, you can get a 1.7/1.6 rocker combo.
O-ring the block and use sce copper gaskets and you'll be set.
I would hard blok the block to help against the pushing of the bores with that stroke and rpm.
Brian

Yea we figured they way we were going to build would possibly make around 700 Hp or so. We would really like to stay with a sb but have also contemplated on building a bb 451 or so. Can anyone give me a decent power making combo for a 451. Which one would ultimately be better for the money???

Yea we figured they way we were going to build would possibly make around 700 Hp or so. We would really like to stay with a sb but have also contemplated on building a bb 451 or so. Can anyone give me a decent power making combo for a 451. Which one would ultimately be better for the money???

All depends on what you use for a head. I like to use the B1 heads, so those engine builds can cost around 14,000. and up.
But they will make min. of 850 to right at 1000HP.
Lately we've been doing NOS SB stuff. Build 700HP then shoot it with a 200 shot. Bingo, 900HP! Just have to use really good stuff so either way you can have good power and some longevity.

-
Back