Engine Compartment Cleaning

-
I like to use Knight's Spray 9. Works good and is Biodegradable. There are similar products on the market tho.

clean sand clean paint , remove everything and don't put any parts back on and in until they look and function like new

if you decide to use any type of degreaser, be sure you pick on which is outlawed for sale in the state of California, that is a sure fire way of finding something that WORKS

if you decide to use any type of degreaser, be sure you pick on which is outlawed for sale in the state of California, that is a sure fire way of finding something that WORKS

Probably totally true is the sad part. :D

Depends. I'll use dishwasher soap, Gunk, SuperClean, Simple Green, laquer thinner on rags, elbow grease... Whatever it takes.

Thanks guys for all your input. Bought the car a few months and wanted to clean things up before I start tinkering.

Remove the air cleaner (or just the filter(s)) and put a big plastic bag over the carburetor secured by a rubber band.

Pull the motor, clean it, reseal it (the problem),repaint it. Clean motor compartment, put motor back in, go to car show, lift hood, show off.

Ok you two... I'll provide the beer and barbecue and y'all can come on over and pull the engine for me.

Here is what i'm doing. Seems to be working pretty well. Spray an area with the "Tuff Stuff" let it soak for a minute or two then scrub with a blue "Scotch Brite " pad. It lifts the crud right off! (well so far it has) Then I wipe it down with a rag and spray with WD-40. Look pretty good IMO.

DSCN0531.JPG

Ok you two... I'll provide the beer and barbecue and y'all can come on over and pull the engine for me.
LOL.....that all I was gonna do about a year ago....should be firing it back up now in a couple weeks!!!

Jeff

-
Back