Engine differences between auto and manual trans?

-

oneway71

Reaction score
I have a low mileage rebuilt /6 that I want to pull from my automatic Valiant and put into my Manual Duster.

Are /6's different between an auto trans and manual trans?

Can I swap an automatic /6 into a manual car easily?

Will the pressure plate bolt to the same spot on crank as the flex plate?

Are the cranks different? Will I need to drill something out or do custom work to do this swap?

Thanks for any advice!

Your automatic-engine crankshaft may or may not be finish-drilled for a pilot bushing. Wait and see. Other than that, everything's the same.

Thanks. Hopefully it is already done; if not it should be easy to do.

Prior to 68 /6 has a smaller flywheel register and hole for the torque converter hub but if both crankshafts are 68 and up or both are 67 and back your ok. Also a lot of engines that were ultimatly mated to automatic transmissions still got a pilot bushing in the crank so you may want to look before you buy one.

Brian

The original, in the Duster, is a 73. The engine I want to put in it is, I believe, 78 or newer "super six".

I should be fine. The only reason I am thinking of doing a swap is because the 73 Started leaking oil and I want to go through it. By switching I can still drive the car while I check out the other engine.

Thanks

The final machining of the crank for a pilot bushing should be the only question mark. If it isn't finished for a bushing, just install a pilot BEARING assy (hub and bearing) from a later magnum engine application. It fits into the converter hole so it doesn't matter if the center hole is finished or not.

-
Back