Engine getting stuck :/

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
So were trying to pull the engine and trans separate, but the engine is getting stuck on the snout of the converter. Any idea what to do? and what to do when putting it back in?

first I would make sure all bolts are out that need to be.

also make sure that when pulling up on the engine that you are not binding and hanging up on the alignment dowel pins

then I would put tension on the engine hoise and try rocking the engine in different directions to get it to "free up".

if that does not do the trick....get under the car and try pushing the converter further into the transmission and see if that gains you your clearance.

otherwise I would support the trans with a jack...undo trans mount and try sliding the trans back some (if you have room on your drive shaft to do so) otherwise remove drive shaft and then try sliding it back some.

We did all those and are doing the last one tomorrow and will update!

is it possible that when attempting to separate the engine from the trans that the convert pulled out of the pump and when you tried pushing the converter in it was hanging up and not full engaged?

did you try spinning the converter while pushing in on it to make sure it was seated fully?

if I remember correctly....in my duster when installing the transmission I could slide my converter back into the pump far enough that there was a good half inch in between the flex plate and converter mounting holes .

how much clearance do you have between the flex plate and converter with the converter pushed all the way back?

Not sure done for the night, but I'll try spinning and pushing it in further, just got a bit late.

So were trying to pull the engine and trans separate, but the engine is getting stuck on the snout of the converter. Any idea what to do? and what to do when putting it back in?
Not good!If the converter slid out and got hooked on the back of the engine,even just bya 1/2 inch.You probably cracked the snout.JMO.Going back in,make sure the convertor is seated all the way in.Lift and spin in til you feel it move in another 1/2 inch.Good luck.

ITs not cracked I checked it. We just put it down and are going to do it tomorrow.

I would never be able to pull just the motor out of my dart (426 hemi) do yourself a favor and pull trany too. Sometimes it makes thing alot easier to do a little more.

I would never be able to pull just the motor out of my dart (426 hemi) do yourself a favor and pull trany too. Sometimes it makes thing alot easier to do a little more.

That's how I did it. Jacked the rear of the car up a good distance so there will be more for the output shaft of trans to drop towards the floor. Ive been down this road before and found out the hard way. I installed the trans to engine and dropped it in as a unit all by myself.

its to late to do it that way. Also it WAS NOT THE SNOUT! Its the back of the converter that goes into the crank/flex plate.

If the rear mount is still on the trans, try jacking the trans all the way up against the floor pan. Get the bellhousing tight to the floor pan.

Is it clear of the dowel pins?

Did what Cracked said and it popped out. Everything is off the motor and tomorrow I check the crank and rod bearings

easiest thing is to make a cradle that bolts to the k member

undo the brake lines/ engine wiring/ t bars/ and upper ball joints and the hole thing falls out!

Attachments

• 101_4246.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 150
-
Back