Engine goes... KNOCK!

-
I use water wetter and plain water. The tracks here don't check to see what coolant you run as they use torches to dry the track. But they also require you to run a puke/overflow tank regardless.

I did not get checked for anti-freeze either but like 64dartwagon said we are required to have an overflow/ puke tank :pukel: .

Ok, the block is back from the machine shop.

So far, a sleeve has been put into the #1 cylinder, the block has been decked (6 or 7 thousandths were taken off), the crank was cut another 10/10 to make it 20/20, all 7 old rods plus 1 new rod were re-sized, and all the cylinders were honed. Now re-assembly starts and I should have to ready to drop back into the car by next weekend - or so I hope.

The !@&#@(! thin Mopar head gaskets are on "national backorder", nobody I've called has any in stock. The engine guy thinks he knows of a source that may have them so he's gonna give that a try. If not I guess I'm back to the Fel-Pro's.

Did ya think about Comtic (SP?) gaskets? Sized to order! Abit more money than off the shelf Fel-Pro's. Just thinking outloud.

The !@&#@(! thin Mopar head gaskets are on "national backorder", nobody I've called has any in stock. The engine guy thinks he knows of a source that may have them so he's gonna give that a try. If not I guess I'm back to the Fel-Pro's.[/QUOTE]

I use the mr gasket 1120s since they will fit a larger bore but not as big as the felpros 4.180,they are .028 compressed with a 4.140 bore,heres a link.http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MRG-1121&autoview=sku

The !@&#@(! thin Mopar head gaskets are on "national backorder", nobody I've called has any in stock. The engine guy thinks he knows of a source that may have them so he's gonna give that a try. If not I guess I'm back to the Fel-Pro's.

I use the mr gasket 1120s since they will fit a larger bore but not as big as the felpros 4.180,they are .028 compressed with a 4.140 bore,heres a link.http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MRG-1121&autoview=sku

That's exactly what I ordered. I'm pretty sure they're the same as the Mopar gaskets (which aren't Mopar, there's another name stamped on them). Even the bore is the same. So the Mopars are 4.140 or the Mr. Gaskets are 4.060. I didn't measure them so I don't know for sure.

That's exactly what I ordered. I'm pretty sure they're the same as the Mopar gaskets (which aren't Mopar, there's another name stamped on them). Even the bore is the same. So the Mopars are 4.140 or the Mr. Gaskets are 4.060. I didn't measure them so I don't know for sure.

The Mr Gasket one I had were 4.060 bore. I think the Mopar perf. thin ones were also 4.060 but they were quite differently made. Slight difference in thickness too. I don't know for sure but the Mopar gaskets look just like Victor gaskets which I haven't had much luck with unless everything was freshly milled. (Block and heads) Had alot better luck with Felpro here.

Good luck Mikel

The Mr Gasket one I had were 4.060 bore. I think the Mopar perf. thin ones were also 4.060 but they were quite differently made. Slight difference in thickness too. I don't know for sure but the Mopar gaskets look just like Victor gaskets which I haven't had much luck with unless everything was freshly milled. (Block and heads) Had alot better luck with Felpro here.

Good luck Mikel

I dont know which gaskets your reffering to but these are the only thin gaskets Im aware of from mr. gasket and they are advertised at 4.140 bore size.The actual measurement is right around 4.150 bore size,you can see in the pic its a little larger than my caliper-these also measure .032-.035 for thickness out of the wrapper,the mopar gaskets are different like you stated.

e-bay 027.jpg

e-bay 028.jpg

I had bought the Mopar gaskets a couple of months ago and that's what was on the engine. I tried to find them now but couldn't so I picked up the Mr. Gasket gaskets. I layed one on top of the Mopar gasket and the bore size is exactly the same. So either the Mopar gasket is 4.140 or the Mr. Gasket is 4.060. I didn't measure either of them, all I can measure now are the Mopar ones as the Mr. Gaskets are on the engine. So I'll do that tomorrow, maybe the day after and will let ya know.

Meanwhile, the engine guy called earlier and said he was done with the engine, I can go get it whenever. So tomorrow I'll hit the bank, pull out $850 and run by there to get the motor.

I dont know which gaskets your reffering to but these are the only thin gaskets Im aware of from mr. gasket and they are advertised at 4.140 bore size.The actual measurement is right around 4.150 bore size,you can see in the pic its a little larger than my caliper-these also measure .032-.035 for thickness out of the wrapper,the mopar gaskets are different like you stated.

I don't know the number on them either. They came in a kit I bought a couple of yrs. ago that I didn't use. I looked all over them and couldn't find a number. When I bought them the salesman told me they were they were the thin ones so that's what I was going by. I measured the thickness and they measured .044 out of the package so I'm not sure how much that would compress to but I doubt they will go all the way down in the .020's like he told me. The bore is also bigger than I was told. I measured them at 4.078-4.081 Sorry about the misinformation. I should have measured them before I spoke. I also should know better than take a salesman's word as gospel.:bootysha:

I don't know the number on them either. They came in a kit I bought a couple of yrs. ago that I didn't use. I looked all over them and couldn't find a number. When I bought them the salesman told me they were they were the thin ones so that's what I was going by. I measured the thickness and they measured .044 out of the package so I'm not sure how much that would compress to but I doubt they will go all the way down in the .020's like he told me. The bore is also bigger than I was told. I measured them at 4.078-4.081 Sorry about the misinformation. I should have measured them before I spoke. I also should know better than take a salesman's word as gospel.:bootysha:

I know how that go's,I was just curious since there are alot of different gaskets out there.My cousins 360 Im putting together right now has a ROL gasket set and they are yet a little diffrent bore size and thickness-yet another option to help the compression ratio options lol.

Hmmm... I don't think that rods, pistons and bearings are supposed to look like this. Right?

IMG_0797.JPG

You can see where the rod was banging on the block... and where the piston was beating on the cylinder wall. And the bearings are shot. I'm thinking it's kind of a good thing that the rod bent before those bad bearings came apart completely and sent a few rods through the side of the block.

-
Back