Engine health checking help for a sunday purchase

-

72smallairparticler

Reaction score
Im taking a trip to check out this engine and transmission. All the owner knows is that the previous owner ran it in his challenger, said it had a performance cam and was set up for racing but then he swapped to a 440. The transmission is a Fairbanks performance 727. I have no idea what those torque converters are or which I should grab.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

For context im swapping out my slant 6/904 combo for this. Its a big job but im going to take my time.

Separately any advice on transmission linkage or crossmember changes that are needed? I already ordered the schumaker engine mounts.

IMG_5677.jpeg

IMG_5678.jpeg

IMG_5679.jpeg

IMG_5680.jpeg

IMG_5681.jpeg

IMG_5682.jpeg

Without being able to hear it run its a crap shoot. Looks like it's got some o'l school performance parts on it. The smaller gold looking torque converter is most likely a hi stall converter while the other appears stock. I'd grab both but if I was only able to get one I'd take the gold one. 65'

Keep the 904 in the car, with some upgrades it will live fine in the car. Also you don’t need get a new drive shaft and the 904 is lighter and much less prone to catastrophic sprag failure.

Looks like a 360 with some hot rod parts. Since it has stock rocker arms on it, the cam can't be too outrageous. If you get the tunnel ram with it, sell it to someone who needs it, because I suspect that motor doesn't. Put an RPM or RPM Airgap intake on it with a 650 Brawler carb. Those are some funky lookin headers, but looks like they are maybe Hookers. If they are Hooker 5115's, they are B & E body headers and won't fit your car, but they are really good headers for someone who can use them. Get both converters if you can. Get a new throttle cable and buy a Chrysler adapter for whatever carb you buy. Holley and Edelbrock both sell one that fits their carbs to make Mopar throttle cables work properly. Get all the kickdown linkage for the transmission if you can. Even though it came out of an E body, it may work in your Duster. No crossmember changes will be needed if you already have the conversion mounts on the way. You may want bigger torsion bars eventually, but not needed just to get it up and going. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the help and suggestions all! Ill let you know how it goes. Almost got the slant and 904 ready to pull out today and a buyer lined up to pick up as well which the wife is happy about

My only advise is, don't pay too much for whatever the total of the parts available is. Not sure what brand the TR is, but i'd treat the engine/trans as cores until you can really break it down to see what you have. Good luck with it.

Keep the 904 in the car, with some upgrades it will live fine in the car. Also you don’t need get a new drive shaft and the 904 is lighter and much less prone to catastrophic sprag failure.
This post shows exactly why we need the red X back

"keep the 904"
Wrong in my experience on 2 counts
1. In this case weren't you pulling a /6? THAT 904 won't bolt up to anything but a /6. Need a different 904.
And 2. Especially when driven in a "performance" fashion the 904 won't hold up -- might do better with being "built up" but I haven't had good luck with 904s in general even when driven like an old person. I've ditched a handful of 904s in favor of 727s for that very reason

"keep the 904"
Wrong in my experience on 2 counts
1. In this case weren't you pulling a /6? THAT 904 won't bolt up to anything but a /6. Need a different 904.
And 2. Especially when driven in a "performance" fashion the 904 won't hold up -- might do better with being "built up" but I haven't had good luck with 904s in general even when driven like an old person. I've ditched a handful of 904s in favor of 727s for that very reason
Agree. This forum is filled with excellent advice. Usually quick to correct the wrong info but much faster with a red X IMO.

Anyway, I scored the whole lot of stuff he had for 1200. 360, 727, torque converter, headers, and a v8 k-frame with manual steering box attached. Pretty rad guy, had a super cool shop.

Thanks all for the tips!

-
Back