Engine Help Please

-

hawkgoalie31

Reaction score
Me and my dad cannot figure out what this piece is. its off my 1974 duster and we are confused on what it is and if we need it to hook it up because none of the wires we have go to it. so if you know any thing please let me know.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

This is just a guess, & maybe not a very good one. Since the car is a '74 model, is it possible that it's a part of the seat belt interlock system that was required for a part of that model year? The govt. required the interlock to keep the car from being started until somebody sat in the seat, & then fastened the seat belt, in that order. It wasn't popular & lasted less than a year. Maybe this is a part of the logic circuit or whatever they used to make sure things were done in the proper order. If it is, I'd look for it to hook into some wiring from the pressure sensors in the seat or somewhere in the starter wiring, maybe the firewall mounted starter relay. All of these systems were also supposed to have some type of bypass button/device under the hood in case they failed. Before I met her, my wife had a '74 Dart & she said she never was able to find the bypass & that the system was a PITA!

thanks for the help guys let me know if you can figure it out. but we already know wear the seat belt interlock is but you might be right on the fact that it is the brains on it so ill talk to my dad let me know if you get something else.

Thanks,
Brian

The wire colors are ignition and choke power... 74 would have had it's own choke timer on the intake... but I wonder if that's some recall or regional climate modification. I've never, ever seen one before... That's a few mopars too... Maybe post the part number?

i have no idea wat it is and we cant find anything in the wiring diagrams about it

its not some sort of voltage regulator orelectronic ignition is it?

redfastback is correct, it is part of the emissions systems. Some cars had it but some did not. Mine is an early 74 model 360 car and it didn't have it. I have seen a lot of 74 /6 and 318 cars with it mouted up on the fire wall along with a vacuum booster mounted on the passenger valve cover. Go with redfastback and file it in file "13".

My parts book has it listed as "Control, EGR Time Delay". Looks like it was used mostly in Cal. emission vehicles.

The mystery seems to be solved, but just for good measure my '74 doesn't have one and it has nothing to do with the seat belt interlock. Emissions sounds like the most likely culprit.

-
Back