Engine identification help.

-

the_fatman

Reaction score
I did some research and found out that the numbers are supposed to be under #1 and #6, but mine only has numbers under #6 from what I understand is the last 8 of the vin? So I just need to know what it had come out of so I can sell this thing I have a guy that's interested but wants to know more about it. I am coming up short!

passenger side middle of the pan rail will be a machined pad that may or may not have the VIN numbers

i had a pic but now i cant find it

Looking at the second pic, there is a stud just below the head on the passenger side of the block. There is a pad just above that stud that has the info you are looking for. You may have to pull the head to read it clearly, but there is a series of numbers stamped in the block deck that will read PP225XXXXXXX, or DD225XXXXXX, or TT225XXXXXX. PP=Plymouth, DD=Dodge, TT=Truck, 225=displacement, XXXXXX=Vehicle VIN. The block has 5 freeze plugs so it is a '68 or newer and is an RG so it is a 225 or 198. The head doesn't have spark plug tubes but it does have an AIR injection port so it is a '75 or newer. Based on the casting date on the side of the block (0129) I would say you have a late '79 or early '80 225 with a cast crank. Hope this helps.

Looking at the second pic, there is a stud just below the head on the passenger side of the block. There is a pad just above that stud that has the info you are looking for. You may have to pull the head to read it clearly, but there is a series of numbers stamped in the block deck that will read PP225XXXXXXX, or DD225XXXXXX, or TT225XXXXXX. PP=Plymouth, DD=Dodge, TT=Truck, 225=displacement, XXXXXX=Vehicle VIN. The block has 5 freeze plugs so it is a '68 or newer and is an RG so it is a 225 or 198. The head doesn't have spark plug tubes but it does have an AIR injection port so it is a '75 or newer. Based on the casting date on the side of the block (0129) I would say you have a late '79 or early '80 225 with a cast crank. Hope this helps.

That is extremely helpful thank you so much. the numbers on that pad are as follows:

9225R 1 29 E

Does this mean anything besides that it is a 225 CID ?

'79 225. Not sure on the other numbers. Think the E is Hamtramk, so it probably came out of a Volare/Aspen.

I don't know if anyone is still following this one but I thought I would say this engine is for sale or trade.... I will make a thing in classifieds when I get home but for now I just wanted y'all to know till I get it put up....classified coming soon.

The "E" designates a cast crank engine. Plus the damper for the cast crank engine has six spokes (like on this engine) from the factory, where the forged crank engines has three spoke dampers.

PS: I would be interested in the A/C pulley that is bolted to the rear of the damper. If interested in selling separet, send me a PM. Thanks.

-
Back