Engine info and Opinion

-

dudeman

Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a 360 bare block for $75. The numbers are 4179930-360 6. Is this a good block for a stroker? Is it a good deal or am I paying too much?

That casting number hadles 75 to the end of production in 93 for the LA.

If the block has the main caps, it sounds like a decent deal. Just make sure that you have it checked out for core shift and cylinder wall thickness, cracks and all that.

Just below where the driver side head is located (or would be), there should be a stamped number or code. This will tell you the actual year of production, it may be in the 10000 day calendar, so you may have to decipher it.

Just remember you will need to buy everything for the engine, oil pan, intake, oil pump/pickup, timing cover and so on. This can add up pretty quick, if you don't have a donor motor already.

When I did my 408, I had another 360 to pull parts off of and bought a Kevko oil pan. If you have another small block already, you can use most of those parts.

If you stroke it, plan to sonic test it and get it as cheap as you can. I think $50 would be about right for a bare one that was taken apart recently. You will need to pay to have the cylinders cleaned if they are very rusty before the sonic test, and I'd have it magged before that too. It's easy to have a few hundred in a block that is only cleared for use and ready to machine if you believe in checking things out first. You can save some cash by finding a running engine and tearing it down yourself. Those can be sonic'd without cleaning.

-
Back