Engine issues

-

CrazyPete

Reaction score
So today i took the dart to the power wash to spray down the engine bay after doing so and changing out the starter now the car has a horrid miss. I covered all the ele. components the best i could before the bay was sprayed down. If you give the car any kind of load at all it dies. Such as even trying to accelerate forward or reverse in gear. The car stumbles and dies the car will fire up again but its not running as smooth as it was before i did the spray down. I just changed oil on the car which it needed it and also changed the fuel filter. Im going the change the plugs as well later today. I put a different voltage reg and ign box on the car a few days ago because the factory ones were still on the car (30+ years old) and all the rubber/glue on the back of the boxes had melted. Btw the car is a 1976 dart sport 225 slant 6 i picked up last weekend it seems to have been sitting the last 4 years i put 4 gallons of fresh gas in the car.

Although you covered all the electronics,i think water still got in.. take the dist. cap off and see if theres any moisture inside,how old are the cap and rotor and wires might be time to chance them...

Almost sounds as a vacuum leak to me.
Maybe you sprayed a hose with the power cleaner ?

well i changed the plugs tonight they were due i pulled off the cap and rotor and wires there was mosture in the cap so im thinking thats my issue once i change those out i'll have to see if that fixes the issue

runs a lil better it has one step hotter plugs in the car i put in a set of factory rated plugs champions changed the cap, rotor, plug wires and fuel filter. Next im gonna drain out the fuel and get the carb rebuilt im thinking the old gas is raising hell causing the rough running. I'll post a vid if the car running at idle im sure the valves need adjusting too.

Im guessing that it's the old gas but take the dist. cap and spray some wd40 in it and put it back on. It helps to evaporate the moisture faster.

After watching the video adjust your valves then reset your timing! It will run smoother and quieter. Sure is clean and a great deal for what you paid!

did u clean all ur grounds? u need to have at least one ground strap from the frame to the engine and also ur negitive battery cable ( unless in the trunk) should be on the engine to.

hey also a great ignition upgrade is the Ignitor II setup from Petronix!!

i luv it and i didn't even have to pull the distributor out!!

Yes i think a valve adjustment is in order...that car is pretty clean,just screaming for a 340...

Hey, that would be the first Dart Sport later than 74 I have seen with a full vinyl top. I think every one I have seen or had 74 or later had only the half vinyl top!!
Chas

-
Back