Engine konked out and wouldnt' start

-

bc67barracuda

1967 Barracuda - Fastback
Reaction score
Cruising in the 67' Barracuda...pulled into my buddies driveway and died? Would only keep running if I had the key engaged for awhile, which is not good for the starter. Waited for a couple of minutes and would started right away and drive. Ignition relay switch? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo (13).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 136
I dunno elec very well, but it could be ign switch too. Keep a spare in your glove box, easy as heck to change if one goes for a dump on ya.

If it's a four wire ballast that could be it (run side dead) and can be jumpered temporarily if you need to get it somewhere.
Could be the switch too, but more often the ballast.

If it would be easier for you to replace it than diagnose it buy a new one. (they are cheap)

I'm runnining an electronic MSD distributor so the ballast is disconnected I think 4spddragtop might be correct on the ignition switch itself. There is a lot of play in the ignition once the key is in. I will try giggling it around see if that is the problem and continue with other wires. As you indicated and others on this site the ballast to be the culprit if your running a stock setup. Thanks for your all your help.

you have a loose/poor connection on the blue wire ign1 (run) circuit which is why you had to hold it to the ign2 brown wire "crank" position to keep it running. Take off the yellow wire from the "ign" terminal on the starter relay to disable the starter ( we know the starter works & no need to run the batt down) & check connections from the ign sw ign1 terminal to the bulkhead then to the coil/ecu. Start with the bulkhead. The coil and the ECU need to be fed in "crank" and in "run". hookup your meter and some jumper wires with alligator clips & wiggle things till the meter jumps while someone holds the key to "start" & that's the poor connection or clean any suspect connections

If you are not using the ballast, this is most likely a bad connection in the bulkhead connector in the "run" wire or the connector at the column to the switch, or the switch itself

This is known variously as "IGN 1" "Igntion run" and the "blue igntion wire."

You can hot wire it to get it home easily. Hook 12V to wherever the power wire is hooked on your MSD or else to the voltage regulator IGN wire which is also blue

Fixed the wiring issue! When the car was tuned the mechanic by-passed the Ballast and used a poor connector. Took it apart, used some shrink tubing and encased it in a plastic tube. The only thing I have to figure out is how to fix the temperature gauge as it was working. Will be doing some research on this site before I reach out for help. Thanks for everyone's input.

Attachments

• DSCF9763.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF9762.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 106
-
Back