Engine Lift Plate & Motor Mount Removal

-

Franko

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I want to remove the 340 out of my 69 Dart so I can paint it. I have already removed the transmission to replace the clutch and PP.

Do any of you folks have any knowledge about the safety of an engine lift plate that bolts on to intake manifold to remove the engine?

Also I take it that removing the single nut facing down on each motor mount is the best way to remove the engine. But the opening is so tight that when I try to get my socket wrench on the nut, the socket is at funny angle and I am concerned about stripping the head. Does anybody know the best way to do this?

Thanks for any advice.

I want to remove the 340 out of my 69 Dart so I can paint it. I have already removed the transmission to replace the clutch and PP.

Do any of you folks have any knowledge about the safety of an engine lift plate that bolts on to intake manifold to remove the engine?

Also I take it that removing the single nut facing down on each motor mount is the best way to remove the engine. But the opening is so tight that when I try to get my socket wrench on the nut, the socket is at funny angle and I am concerned about stripping the head. Does anybody know the best way to do this?

Thanks for any advice.

A couple of things:

IMHO, the lifting plate is far and away the best hook up of lifting JUST the engine. Just make sure the nuts/bolts that attach it to the intake are snug tight.

For the nut on the engine mount bisket, try a universal, may also need a deep socket.

Good luck!

Jim Burch

Used one numerous times...never had an issue removing the engine either by itself or with the trans...JBurch is correct though...use good hardware with as much thread engagement as you can and snug

For the motor mounts, use a 3/4" standard socket in 3/8" drive with a 12" extension. That's how I've been doing that for years.

For the motor mounts, use a 3/4" standard socket in 3/8" drive with a 12" extension. That's how I've been doing that for years.

Just did my 69 dart too, use the tools he recommends hooked to an impact.

Jacking up the car so you can get yourself far enough under it to see the nut helps

Thank you all for the great advice. I bought 3/8 inch deep well 6 point sockets from China Buffet, I mean Harbor Freight, and a 1/2 inch to 3/8 inch reducer. I used the long 3/8 inch extension and my 1/2 inch pneumatic impact wrench. Those nuts came off easy as pie.

As far as the engine lift plate goes, can I just put the engine lift hook (without the leveler) through the middle hole and lift the engine (and bell housing) out that way? Can an engine be removed from a 69 Dart without taking off the hood?

As far as the engine lift plate goes, can I just put the engine lift hook (without the leveler) through the middle hole and lift the engine (and bell housing) out that way? Can an engine be removed from a 69 Dart without taking off the hood?

I would prefer to use the engine leveler over the engine lift plate, just my preference.

Someone did post recently that they did pull an engine with the lift plate and the hood still on. If it is a nice hood, I would remove it JIC if it were my car.

Never used a leveler and only used the lift plate when bought the set up.
For install I just used a 3 ft section of chain
Always used chain with no probs

Never used a leveler and only used the lift plate when bought the set up.
For install I just used a 3 ft section of chain
Always used chain with no probs

I like to use my leveler and put the whole engine/trans in at one time. With the leveler, I can pull it or drop it in within 10 - 15 minutes by myself, not much wrestling.

It's personal preference.

a chain just gotta play with it more

TMI.... LOL!

That's what he said... LOL!

Seriously. Back when I was a kid in high school, I ordered an engine hoist from a place on the east coast. They forgot to send me one other item that I had ordered (I forgot what it was now), but sent me an engine leveler instead.

After using the leveler and seeing how much easier it made everything, I called them back and asked how much it was. I then told them that I would send them a money order for the leveler and keep it, as it was so handy to have.

Always watch a lazy man work. He will find the quickest, least effort involved, most efficient way to get the job done....

So he can get back to being lazy. (it's what he does best).

-
Back