Engine mount confusion

-
Question. My mount bolt is very close to the block on the drivers side. Pics below. How close it too close?
View attachment 1715037764 View attachment 1715037765

We try to get the best mounts/insulators we can but sometimes a few will slip by that have a variation from the stock blueprint. In this case the stud is too long. If I don't point it out this is something that isn't readily obvious to the folks that assemble the kits but if it becomes a common issue I will bring it to their attention and they know to look for it.

That being said, a couple of things that you can do. Please always call us first and I will try my best to help solve the issue. In this case we would replace the insulators for a set that has shorter studs. The other thing to do would be to cut off some the excess. This is the easiest but we understand that this is mildly offensive since you paid good money for the part and shouldn't have to alter it. I get it, I buy parts too. Another option is that you can choose to do nothing, just make sure that the stud isn't having direct contact with the block. I really don't think that there will be enough movement to cause damage (the motor mount bracket assembly is torqued to the block at 55 ft/lbs) but there might be some extra vibration and that will become annoying.

I am sorry for any problems or inconvenience that this has caused.

Sincerely,

Michael Schumacher
Schumacher Creative Services

Not trying to hijack, but would this work for my setup as well. I have a 68 Dart with a 71 V8 A-body k frame, and 71 318 mounts. I'll be bolting in a 5.9 Magnum in a couple weeks
More than a few people have recommended this as a solution so it can't be that bad. I would recommend reaching out to engine-swaps as they know their stuff.

We try to get the best mounts/insulators we can but sometimes a few will slip by that have a variation from the stock blueprint. In this case the stud is too long. If I don't point it out this is something that isn't readily obvious to the folks that assemble the kits but if it becomes a common issue I will bring it to their attention and they know to look for it.

That being said, a couple of things that you can do. Please always call us first and I will try my best to help solve the issue. In this case we would replace the insulators for a set that has shorter studs. The other thing to do would be to cut off some the excess. This is the easiest but we understand that this is mildly offensive since you paid good money for the part and shouldn't have to alter it. I get it, I buy parts too. Another option is that you can choose to do nothing, just make sure that the stud isn't having direct contact with the block. I really don't think that there will be enough movement to cause damage (the motor mount bracket assembly is torqued to the block at 55 ft/lbs) but there might be some extra vibration and that will become annoying.

I am sorry for any problems or inconvenience that this has caused.

Sincerely,

Michael Schumacher
Schumacher Creative Services
Michael, your stuff is great. I'm willing to bet it's my install. It is t touching the block right now so if I get motivated I will cut it back, if not, I won't worry.

Not trying to hijack, but would this work for my setup as well. I have a 68 Dart with a 71 V8 A-body k frame, and 71 318 mounts. I'll be bolting in a 5.9 Magnum in a couple weeks

This is a very similar issue. You will be trying to install a 360 (5.9 Magnum) with 318 mounts. All you need is 1967-72 A-body 340/360 motor mounts.

Sincerely,

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not trying to cause troubles just for the sake of it, but if that bolt is touching the main flat outside surface of the block, it could be touching on the cooling jacket. It is possible that some hard shock (like hitting a deep pothole) could poke that stud hard against the block surface... I'd be afraid of having having the cooling jacket cracked. I would not let that go.

I am not trying to cause troubles just for the sake of it, but if that bolt is touching the main flat outside surface of the block, it could be touching on the cooling jacket. It is possible that some hard shock (like hitting a deep pothole) could poke that stud hard against the block surface... I'd be afraid of having having the cooling jacket cracked. I would not let that go.
Well, its not in the car yet so now is a good time.

-
Back