engine mount issue

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
Ok I have a 71 dart and it was a 318 I pulled it and I'm putting in a 360. Im trying to use the old mounts off my 318 and it doesn't seem like it want to fit right. I ensee up using another mount I had laying around and one off the 318 I thought they all interchange. I'm not talking about the different types as far as the new spool style and such just how they bolt to block. look at the pics it don't seem right . I think passenger side is ok but drivers side seems odd

Attachments

• rps20141209_190644.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 413
  • rps20141209_190441.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 375
Seems like driver side is to far forward but I can't mount it to the inside. I thought the mounts went to the inside

They don't fit because they are not the same. One is different I cannot remember which for sure, but I think it is the driver's side mount.

The driver side mount is different on a 340/360 motor! You can either find the correct drivers side mount, or I believe that you can shim it with washers!! Geof

Drivers side 340/360 mount!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 370
it's definitely the driver side that's a little different. I'm thinking there should have been some kind of spacer for the 360 on the driver side. is that a picture of the 318? I'm going to run into this problem very soon myself. I was told I could use the same motor mounts but the ear towards the back of the motor on the driver side would be a half inch off and I would just have to use the spacer.I was also told that the problem would be mostly the driver side motor mount to the block not the actual mount to the k frame.

it's definitely the driver side that's a little different. I'm thinking there should have been some kind of spacer for the 360 on the driver side. is that a picture of the 318? I'm going to run into this problem very soon myself. I was told I could use the same motor mounts but the ear towards the back of the motor on the driver side would be a half inch off and I would just have to use the spacer.I was also told that the problem would be mostly the driver side motor mount to the block not the actual mount to the k frame.

Ok I think that's what I need to do is just use about a 1/4 spacer on drivers side mount on backside and that will center it up. I just didn't know if it would be aligned properly when I go to drop it in. The passenger side worked fine. Thanks for the help guys love this site

Best way to do it is to get a drivers side 340 mount.
Passenger side uses the same 318 mount.

I believe if you move the driver's mount to behind the "ears" that there will be a gap left at the rear "ear",, that is to be spaced with washers..

I believe if you move the driver's mount to behind the "ears" that there will be a gap left at the rear "ear",, that is to be spaced with washers..

Correct.

Mount bracket goes on rear side of ears on both sides.

please post pictures and what you did when you get in please as again I'll be looking at the same scenario within the next month. Thank you

Not really doing much just using my motor mounts off my 318 on my 360. Just take the one on drivers side and use washers to shim it on back side.

the drivers' side mount you have pictured is a 340/360 mount.As others have said
legs behind the ears on the block and you're good to go.If it was a 318 mount it would be 3/8" wider than the one you have pictured.
..Passenger side is the same for both 318 and 340 / 360

Apparently, there are some variations in the 318 mounts. I ran into a similar problem with my 70 Dart when I thought all I was going to need was a shim or spacer to install an LA 360. I ended up buying some used Shumaker mounts from a member. Here is a picture of my 318 mounts: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=269349 If you have the same mounts I had, you will need to do some welding and fabricating in order to make it work. Spacers won't do a bit of good ( BTW, Drivers side 340 / 360 mounts are identical. And the passenger side is the same for 318, 340, 360)

Does anybody know why the mounting points are different?

Unless Ma Mopar just screwed the design up on the mounting ears on the drivers side since the 340 and 360 was designed after the 318?

stop and see me when you get it going,id like to see it.i go by your house all the time,not sure what house you live in,i know its by the school.i take the back roads to the bank at industrial park.
jerry

stop and see me when you get it going,id like to see it.i go by your house all the time,not sure what house you live in,i know its by the school.i take the back roads to the bank at industrial park.
jerry

Hey Jerry car is actually sitting at my dad's on Oregon church rd just south of school off trueblood. I love close to where dead man's curve used to be

Here is a picture of a shimmed mount.

Attachments

• IMG_0476.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 189
The driver side mount is different on a 340/360 motor! You can either find the correct drivers side mount, or I believe that you can shim it with washers!! Geof

The 340/360 blocks have narrower spacing on the driver side tabs so it does take a different driver side mount.

However, the "shimming" is a bit of a myth.

B and E bodies have a mount configuration that allow for a spacer to be installed and work. In other words, on a 67-72 B body or a 70-74 E body you can shim the 318 mount to work on a 340/360.

On the 73-76 A body "spool" type motor mounts you CAN also shim the 318 mount for use with the 340/360

On 67-72 A bodies however, the 318 mount is actually missing an ear that you need for the 340/360 installation, even if shimmed. Note the difference below:

correct 340/360 driver side mount:

340amount.jpg

Here's the 318 A body mount:

318amount.jpg

Many FABO members have actually welded the missing tab on the 318 to make it work, but I'm told that Schumacher (engine-swaps.com) will sell you just the 340/360 driver's side mount for a pretty reasonable price.

Good Luck!

-
Back