Engine mounts, Confused on Motor placement.

-

MonkeyMadness

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm in the middle of a build and I need some guru info from all of you.
I pulled a 904 trans from my 65 barracuda that has a 318 swapped into it.
I'm swapping in a magnum 5.9 with the 46RE trans.
The issue I need help with is I'm trying to mock up the trans so i can do surgery to the tunnel So I left the lump of the 318 in bolted up as my mock up motor. while inspecting the setup i noticed (it looks like to me) that the motor mount are backwards as in left on right and so on. The reason why I think this is on the 318 block it has 3 holes for mounts on the passenger side and 4 on the drivers. But some one put the 4 hole mount on passenger side and 3 on the drivers side. I also noticed that the mounts are offset (slot hole). By flipping them it looks as though you could get about .5 .750 of an inch difference when flipped from side to side
I also noticed a sizable gap between the crossmember and the oil pan
IMG_0001_zps8c7d43e3.jpg

Has any body else seen this?
This car also has a different rad in it and all I can come up with is that who ever owned this before me flipped the mounts to push the motor back enough to keep it from putting the fan into the rad.

All I want to know is what the correct placement is for the block so i can get my trans swap started.

thanks for any and all help.

Those look like truck mounts. You need early a body mounts for it to fit correctly.

I have a picture of what you need, just can't post it for some reason. Do a google search for early a body motor mounts. The set with reddish orange mounts with the thick black rubber

Abodyjoe.....
I figured it out! All thanks to you and B-onefan....
OK so I was snoopen an poopen on the Schmacher site reading there instructions for v8 swaps in that early 63-67 Abodys and it now look as though my car was not a v8 273 factory car... In one section they mention the difference between the slanty vs. v8 center link and how the v8 has a slight 1.750" dip in the center of the link. Mine does not! So who ever did this swap opted to use the taller truck 318 mounts instead of replacing the center link with a v8 link to keep the v8 pan from rubbing or hitting it...
Thanks to the both of you I'll be ordering the correct part needed to get my project back up and running!

:thankyou:

Glad you got it figured out. Now, what about the drivers exhaust manifold? And the drop center link?

Glad you got it figured out. Now, what about the drivers exhaust manifold? And the drop center link?
Well I have the manifold that came on the 273 bolted to the 318 now. but I don't like them..
Thinking for building my own set of headers.
The dropped center link I found not long after posting my last reply should be here by Monday.

Those are truck mounts, but the mounts to adapt that engine correctly to that body are '63-66 A-Body S6 or V8 to 273/318 or 340/360 Replacement or Upgrade Kit
one is slightly offset. I bought a 89 360 with truck mounts, almost the same as yours but the drivers side isn't as wide.

-
Back