Engine noise in 383

-

buck351

Reaction score
I have this noise that just started. It's a high pitched clicking noise like I haven't heard before at idle. It's coming out of the driver's side valve cover breather. If you cover up the breather with your hands you don't hear it. It starts after the engine starts to warm up. Cold the noise isn't there. I've listen to the valve cover, block, exhaust manifold and intake with long screw driver on my ear don't hear it. When you increase the rpms above idle it's gone. Wondering if it could be a lifter. If so how would I prove it.

Kind of a clinking sound instead of a clicking sound. Have a recording but didn't see a way to post it.

Last edited:
Pull the valve cover.

Look for a bent push rod or a push rod punched through a rocker arm or lifter for starters.

If nothing is obvious with your eyes, move each rocker back & forth by hand to check for play.

Have you checked the valve clearances when hot? Does it sound like a loose rocker arm?

Haven't pulled the valve cover when hot but did when cold and checked torque on the rocker arm shaft mounting bolts. Didn't see anything unusual. Did try wiggling the rockers. Earlier this summer I installed all new rockers and shaft on that side. Haven't done other side yet. Did it because the engine builder use the original rockers saying the were ok. Since they seemed a little noisy I changed them. easy enough to do. Haven't done other side yet.

Pull the valve cover.

Look for a bent push rod or a push rod punched through a rocker arm or lifter for starters.

If nothing is obvious with your eyes, move each rocker back & forth by hand to check for play.

If one was punch through it would be not running smooth. That condition was what was wrong with the car when I bought it when I was 19 and it was 1.5 years old. Guy selling it probably thought he broke the engine and was selling it cheap. Turned out to be push rod thru a rocker. When I had the valve cover off the other day I did try and wiggle the rockers and none felt like they had a lot of play.

-
Back