Engine oil

-
Guys
Please read the allpar article that FJR linked to!!!!!!
What Dad did for Exxon was not only to formulate the additives but his team did all the required testing listed in that article and more, prior to sending product for third party API evaluation.
I will see him over the holidays and ask him if he will write a synopsis of the canola tests.
Grassy: Canola based oils are rape seed oils produced by the Canadian Oil company no corn involved.
Andrew

I went to the bio-oils site and they have no testing info on their products other than environmental, and claim that bio oils are a new thing. The car you see as me avatar was filled with Castrol-R a castor bean based racing oil. Recent tests put it at a par with todays synthetics.
That was back in '73.
Again Ill speak with dad and see if he will join the discussion, I warn you though he is a very technical guy.
Andrew

OK, canola, rape, corn..whatever..it all a food product...and my assertion stands..you make food into a product in gas..you know every farmer is going to grow the product that makes the most money...and gas sales are never going to drop like pork or chicken... and the "carbon footprint" of that gas just skyrocketed.

I did read the articles..nothing like a few disagreements.. :) ..however, was a good read..

Because the kids car will not be a trailer queen or only brought out when the humidity is so and so, I am leaning towards the oil that not only lubs the unique spots during break in.. but after as well.

When you dad posts, I will run it past my sis who is an chemical engineer that had a bunch of years with Esso and has written the Canadian wide bible for oil and gas storage. I haven't talked this one over with her yet..I was going to this weekend but we cannot meet up as planned.

Look fwd to seeing it..I can wait 'till may before I need the stuff.

Grassy

I was recommended Royal Purple and their break in oil
I love this stuff in my R/T Durango and I am switching the v8 in our cruiser boat to Royal Purple this summer

Yes..have heard a lot about this oil..assume it is sold in the speed shops here in Canada....Scamper..how is it with the zinc + other additives or do you have to add them in ?

Thanks
ian.

We are now starting to see our winter..brr

I buy mine from Lordco but they all sell it.
They claim that they have enough zinc in it and for break in they have a special formula.It is on their website

I emailed Royal Purple regarding what to use on break in when I rebuild my motor and what oil to use for reg use.I stated that it will be a pacific northwest weekend brawler and then will sit all week. Here is their prompt response.

Concerning Royal Purple Break-In oil, we recommend a maximum usage of 2,000 miles. Generally, depending on the ring material, cylinder surface finish, and running/driving conditions, 500 to 1,200 miles should be sufficient. Afterwards, you will want to drain and discard the oil and filter. The oil we recommend for use after break-in is Royal Purple SAE 10W-40. It has the ZDDP anti-wear additive (zinc) you need to keep the flat tappet cam and lifters protected as well as offering outstanding protection for the bearing and cylinder walls. This will work well for almost all flat-tappet camshafts. Another alternative you may want to consider is Royal Purple XPR 10W-40. This is one of our extreme performance and racing oils and would be a good idea if your cam and spring pressures are on the extreme big/high end of the cam manufacturers catalog. It has a higher treat rate of the anti-wear additives and is a more robust oil overall when compared to Royal Purple SAE oils.

For your Torque-Flight, we recommend Royal Purple Max ATF. It is a replacement fluid for Chysler ATF specifications (ATF+, ATF+2, ATF+3, ATF+4, etc.) and should result in better shift feel and cooler operating temperatures.

Concerning the oil filters, we likely do have an application for your Ford 351 powered boat. We do not have application charts specifically for boats, but it likely takes some standard filter for Ford V-8 engines and could be cross-referenced by brand and part number of your current filter. Unfortunately, I don’t believe they are available in Canada. They are currently only sold at Pep Boys auto parts. Likely the closest Pep Boys to you is in Everett, WA. Starting early next year, the oil filters will be available through other retailers and likely online at places like SummitRacing.com and Jegs.com.

Recommendation Summary:

- Royal Purple Break-In Oil (part #11487, quart bottle)

- Royal Purple SAE 10W-40 (part #01140, quart bottle)

- Royal Purple XPR 10W-40 (part #01041, quart bottle)

- Royal Purple Max ATF (part #01320, quart bottle)

Thank you for using Royal Purple and have a great day.

I love their oil in my Durango and I have noticed much better fuel economy.
The response time was fantastic.I am impressed.

Royal purple really stands up with that letter..do you know where it is available in canada ? I suspect in the speed shops.

Thanks for sharing...

ian.

Royal Purple exaggerates a bit in their marketing. There are oils that are at least as good or better for less money.

BITOG: Royal Purple

also remember when using man made oils,,,,if your motor has any hint of a leaky gasket,,,or gaskets made before man made oils were around its gonna LEAK,,,,

That is why you do not change your trans oil if the last change was around for a long time..I have seen the results before.

Great discussion folks..I am interested to find what oil I will choose..I am hoping ro visit a long time MOPAR guy that owns a trans company and does selective engine rebuilds over the holidays..I certainly will pass on his info..In the meantime, I will as Anne..they have a couple of MGs..

Cheers !
Ian.

-
Back