engine on the stand

-
Dumb question what bolts are you using grade wise? I can't quite tell from my tiny phone screen

I have my 340 mounted like Badsport said. Lower the 2 lower arms and use nuts. Put a jack under it and change one bolt at a time.
I would suggest getting rid of as many washers as possible.
You are using grade 8 bolts right? Bolt stretch maybe?

First.....and no offense, that's a cheap POS.

Secondly, check that vertical upright. I think it is on backwards.

looking at the second picture, it looks like the weld on the nut that holds the vertical support in place broke allowing the vertical support to lean forward. id imagine a quick weld would fix it right up.

One thing I notice was the bottom of the post there is an angle cut,I think it should be straight and there is a lot of back and fourth movement,that bolt snap after my 3rd try to put this sucker on.Me thinking like RRR, WHAT a pos. however it has not moved any over night.

Looking back at your stand closely, I see it is the absolute weakest type made. The tubes that the bolts run through are welded to the tips of the fingers from the head. Look at how that's made. Think of how much pull force is being exerted on those welds. I have had one break one weld on one tube, then another.......all the while I was rushing over to get my engine hoist. I barely made it and got the load off before the third weld broke. Get that engine on the floor. Now.

Then go get a better engine stand. Here is what my Hemi has been on for well over a year.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lbs-capacity-foldable-engine-stand-69522.html

O I see the problem. The engine block is bent! :???:MT

Looking back at your stand closely, I see it is the absolute weakest type made. The tubes that the bolts run through are welded to the tips of the fingers from the head. Look at how that's made. Think of how much pull force is being exerted on those welds. I have had one break one weld on one tube, then another.......all the while I was rushing over to get my engine hoist. I barely made it and got the load off before the third weld broke. Get that engine on the floor. Now.

Then go get a better engine stand. Here is what my Hemi has been on for well over a year.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lbs-capacity-foldable-engine-stand-69522.html

That's what I have. According to this months flyer, they are $129.99. Find a 20% off coupon, makes it About $104. I still stick a 2x4 under the front to be safe.

I like my 35 dollar yard sale special. I have two other stands, one like in the OP and an oddball of sorts.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 135
I have one like that too, Bad Sport. 360 hanging on the good stand, 283 Chevy sitting on the other. I still have a 2x4 supporting the front on both. Cheap insurance. I really don't like the 3 legged ones.

View attachment 1714844867

The highlighted areas ...

---the nut for the 'vertical' lockback bolt has broken away---
---You could also drill holes in the TOP of horizontal 'L' tubes,
weld a nut on the tubes, insert bolts & square things up.

Pretty sure that will remove about half of the droopsies.

Welder & time, don't know if You have either, however,
might be cheaper than a new unit, ohhh, and as already mentioned
Move the lower arms, & more weld on the arm to tube areas.
Just My humble$.02

I would buy a new stand but that's just me. My buddies motor is sitting in my garage on his stand and it's got a little more sag then yours. It's also a ford motor though so I'm not concerned :)

attachment.php

The highlighted areas ...

---the nut for the 'vertical' lockback bolt has broken away---
---You could also drill holes in the TOP of horizontal 'L' tubes,
weld a nut on the tubes, insert bolts & square things up.

Pretty sure that will remove about half of the droopsies.

Welder & time, don't know if You have either, however,
might be cheaper than a new unit, ohhh, and as already mentioned
Move the lower arms, & more weld on the arm to tube areas.
Just My humble$.02

once more :)

-
Back