Engine paint.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Is there a difference in blue engine paint.What I mean say from Car Quest and other parts stores,or is the mopar dealer paint spot on or the same mix?what ya think.

I think each brand may be a different shade, it's best to stick with the same kind.

I like plasti-kote 232 Mopar blue for small blocks which is available at car quest.

I've had real good luck with Dupli color ceramic. I get it at Napa. It has held up great with minimal fading and shine loss.

I have good luck with the dupli-color paint.

Some good thoughts there,I was at CarQuest this morring no Dodge blue in stock go figure.They have Ford,Chev.

I'll never buy duplicolor again. That **** wipes right off with brake cleaner. Lots of other paints don't. Something to consider...

I'll never buy duplicolor again. That **** wipes right off with brake cleaner. Lots of other paints don't. Something to consider...

Most any spray paint will. Some just do so more easily.

The only one I've used that doesn't is krypton plastic paints (made for painting platics) and 2 part rattle cans. I haven't found many choices of color for the latter.

I think each brand may be a different shade, it's best to stick with the same kind.

I like plasti-kote 232 Mopar blue for small blocks which is available at car quest.

Karl, that paint had some good information about it,so I will give it a try.:D

Karl, that paint had some good information about it,so I will give it a try.:D

Yes, I like the shade of blue. It's just like the factory small block blue.

Car Quest can get it, but they usually ask like $8 per can...

I think Pep boys also carries plasti-kote, but will have to special order the 232 blue, however they are usually cheaper for spray paint at about $6 per can....

Is this for a restoration? Just asking because after my first ever engine rebuild I asked my self why I had a blue engine in a red car.

Most any spray paint will. Some just do so more easily.

The only one I've used that doesn't is krypton plastic paints (made for painting platics) and 2 part rattle cans. I haven't found many choices of color for the latter.

I agree. However, duplicolor seems easier to wipe off than the other rattlecan engine enamels. For example, Rustoleum doesn't wipe off as easy with brake cleaner from my experience.

I agree. However, duplicolor seems easier to wipe off than the other rattlecan engine enamels. For example, Rustoleum doesn't wipe off as easy with brake cleaner from my experience.

I also find it goes on 'thinner' than most other paints. The only place I use it is under a 2-part clear (max 2k cut-in clear in a can). Otherwise it's not worth the price of admission.

Who sprays or wipes their painted engine off with brake parts cleaner?

I could see fuel spill or brake fluid becoming a possible issue but if your taking the engine apart at all you womt be spraying it with brake parts cleaner, only thing that should get wiped with brake parts cleaner are bare machined surfaces such as gasket areas around the block or heads or intake.

Who sprays or wipes their painted engine off with brake parts cleaner?

I could see fuel spill or brake fluid becoming a possible issue but if your taking the engine apart at all you womt be spraying it with brake parts cleaner, only thing that should get wiped with brake parts cleaner are bare machined surfaces such as gasket areas around the block or heads or intake.

I grab what I have on hand, brake cleaner, carb cleaner, whatever. If the paint comes off with brake cleaner and other paints don't, what's that say? It's softer.

Yeah, i think most paints will, i try to avoid having to spray directly on the engine. Is powder coating even an option? Seems like it would be tough

I used Eastwood ceramic engine paint. My buddy shot two light coats with a gun and it dried hard as a rock.

35A68B70-D748-47C7-A66A-4EEA28B4E69E_zpslu7zq3sq.jpg

-
Back