Engine paint

-

bballfan1

Reaction score
Does anyone have a can of late 71 and later blue engine paint ? It is back ordered everywhere, and I bought a can from another supplier and it was a shade off

I had an old can of it, needed another and bought it. Same brand and the colors did not match each other. So I did my engine with the new and overlayed the old can over it. I didn't really care for the new color. You may as well get it from Summit Racing or pick your source if someone has to mail it to you. Someone must have a supply of it.

I have this one, I bought it many years ago but it's still good! Actually just came across it in my paint cabinet! It's damn near a full can.
20211011_164357.jpg
65'

For $16.00 you should be able to set it next to the engine and should spray it for you.
I got mine from them at Don's show outside of Ocala. 11 bucks. But that was years ago. Have you seen the crap they sell at the chain stores? And the price? Of course, that's everywhere, w/ everything ..

I'll buy some now and check it out. You all are probably salesmen that work on commission. The correct colors are getting hard to find. There were some paint stores that would mix it years back. I remember spraying some with a spray gun. Or they could put it in an aerosol container for the buyer.

I'll buy some now and check it out. You all are probably salesmen that work on commission. The correct colors are getting hard to find. There were some paint stores that would mix it years back. I remember spraying some with a spray gun. Or they could put it in an aerosol container for the buyer.
The main Napa still does that, but doubt they have MA Mopar color charts. They will custom blend, for no extra. When I did my Sat, it was 20 or 25 a can. I'm no Salesman, Bro, Herb's is good ****. Now, do you need a new kitchen? Lol

Put that crap ( duplicolor) on my 340. It was nowhere near as good as the stuff in the early 90s but then I was using the Mopar Paint mostly

Last edited:
Neither Herbs nor Bill Hirsch list race hemi orange. Still looking, as i will NOT use mopar spray cans again.
Nothing from por-15 either. Cant say im surprised.

Last edited:
Neither Herbs nor Bill Hirsch list race hemi orange. Still looking, as i will NOT use mopar spray cans again.
Nothing from por-15 either. Cant say im surprised.
There is a difference between OEM Hemi oranges?

There is a difference between OEM Hemi oranges?
Oh yeah! Mopar used at least four oranges.
1. Race hemi orange. Very yellowish, used on maxwedge and 64/65 race hemis.
2. 66/67 street hemi orange. A fairly neutral orange, not reddish or yellowish.
3. 68-up "hemi" orange. Quite reddish orange. Used on wedges, hemis, and small blocks.
4. Fram orange, used on aircleaner housings. Slightly different from typical street hemi orange.
Then there are the different brands of paint with slightly different formulas. Heck, half the time you can't tell them from chevrolet orange!

you want the proper color then contact Bill Hirsch. you want something close enough then use that spray bomb crap.

Oh yeah! Mopar used at least four oranges.
1. Race hemi orange. Very yellowish, used on maxwedge and 64/65 race hemis.
2. 66/67 street hemi orange. A fairly neutral orange, not reddish or yellowish.
3. 68-up "hemi" orange. Quite reddish orange. Used on wedges, hemis, and small blocks.
4. Fram orange, used on aircleaner housings. Slightly different from typical street hemi orange.
Then there are the different brands of paint with slightly different formulas. Heck, half the time you can't tell them from chevrolet orange!

when i contacted Bill Hirsch he said there was a 340 orange that many confuse with hemi orange also..

the spray cans are usually no where close to the proper color.. hell even MP street hemi orange is no where the proper color.. its (when i last used it years ago) was way too pale.

when i contacted Bill Hirsch he said there was a 340 orange that many confuse with hemi orange also..

the spray cans are usually no where close to the proper color.. hell even MP street hemi orange is no where the proper color.. its (when i last used it years ago) was way too pale.

He may have been talking about what i call fram orange. Used on a lot of the big 340 aircleaners.

Ever paint an early 70s 318 Chevy blue cause that's all they had at Wal Mart...? yeah me neither ...:lol:

-
Back