Engine painting

-
I also used por 15 on my k frame with a brush and it turned out great. I found it to be very tough. It takes about 24 hrs for it to totally dry but well worth thr wait. After me k frame was painted and back in the car and moter installed, I put a floor jack under the k frame and jacked the car up. After I was done I looked at where the jack was and no marks, not even a scratch.

This is using M/P Turquoise from a rattle-can that I purchased at Mancini Racing. I completely degrease/clean/dry the block. I sprayed multiple coats and I use a scrub pad between coats with a more degreasing between each coat. I painted the valve covers separate for the first few coats, and then bolt them on for the last coat. I wet sanded between coats on the valve covers. I use between 2-3 cans of paint and I painted it before dropping the 340 between the fenders.
clean340.jpg

I painted my block in the car, when the oil pan and timing covers were off, but heads and exhaust manifold on. I used Rust Destroyer in rattle can ($11 Home Depot). It primes bare metal and is good to 800 F. I cleaned and wire-brushed the block, but still some original paint and hard rust. I similarly painted the heads on the car when the intake was off. I'll touch up someday if I ever remove the exhausts.

I see GTS Registry bought Turquoise engine paint for his 69 340. I thought my 69 Swinger 340 was painted with Blue engine paint. Does anybody know which is correct?

Bad pic, but I get tons of compliments on the paint on the motor. I used VHT engine paint, 5 heavy coats, and a coat of clear. If you've ever used the official mopar hemi orange you know it covers well and is thick. The VHT really came close to the "thickness", but shines better imo. It's been painted for a few months now and looks just as good as the day I painted it. I was VERY pleasantly surprised how it turned out. So much better than the duplicolor junk I used before.

photobucket-29973-1366079431115_zps43c479bf.jpg

I see GTS Registry bought Turquoise engine paint for his 69 340. I thought my 69 Swinger 340 was painted with Blue engine paint. Does anybody know which is correct?

Ugh! The 340 paint theory again! I had it painted Mopar Blue after correspondence with Galen telling me that BLUE was the way to go for 1969. After entering in the Mopar Nats Original/Restored class, I got my butt handed to me because the engine was blue. It should be TURQUOISE according to the judging staff at the Nats. Running the GTS Registry, I had a number of original 1969 340 Swinger and 340 GTS owners swear to the use of TURQUOISE on their 340's back in 1969. So turquoise it is.............

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! The 340 paint question is almost as volatile as the 340 VS. 360 debate!

-
Back