Engine Point question

-

LowDart

BR-Dodge
Reaction score
Hello.Got a quetion about the engine timing on a 318.Should i keep at the point ?And if the engine is a bit over the point?Keep the engine over the point could be a problem?
What i want to know is what should the engine timing mark?0?
Sounds like a stupid question,i know. but is not!

The Dart-Nº3,5.jpg

Sorry!sometimes i just can't find the correct words! :wack: My english wrtting suck's.

The mark on the balancer is just a mark. The number son the timing cover are just marks. Your timing curve is what you need to work out. And if I get it right..your "point" reference is what the stock timing setup is...right?

Yes ,that'sit!!!!thanks moper!point because thas how we call the stock timing mark here.So, the mark is only a mark!Wich other way i've got to keep the engine with the right timing?I've left a bit over the mark today(without timing light)and the car seems to be a bit faster now!!!If i leave at the mark(stock)the car stay to slow ,i think."I'm runing a weak 300cfm's carburetor(original) that doesn't help!"Got a 650cfmHolley but still need an edelbrock Performer manifold for him.

Get a timing light first. One that has an advancing feature to "dial up" higher advance readings. You'll still need to se tthe timing first, regardles of carb or intake. Most 318s have a base timing of between 6 and 10° before TDC. Top Dead Center is where the mark on the balancer and mark on the timing cover denote. After you get the light, then set it for 10° as a starting point.

TDC is when the mark on both are in the same line(balancer and timing cover)?or is where they start?sorry ,but i think i didn't got it?

TDC is when the piston is no longer travelling up or down at the top of the stroke. The mark on the balancer is supposed to line up with the "0" mark on the cover when the piston is at the right spot. Clearances between all the parts, and production tolerances on the balancer and cover mean this can sometimes be a little off. In a stock engine, not a big deal. In performacne engine, it could be an issue. For you, I would use a socket and turn the crank counter clockwise about 1/4 turn. Then, turn it in the forward direction to line up the balancer mark with the "0" line on the timing cover, and that is your top dead center point. You should have a scale of 10° before TDC and after TDC on that timing cover. So to time your engine beyond 10° initial timing, you will need a light that can be adjusted to read properly at higher initial timing settings.

-
Back