engine problem again

-

schwinger

1972 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
having this dam problem with engine cutting out at idle at a stop once in a while and at full throttle goes good for a bit then cuts out like hell wanting to die!

have you checked your fuel filter. Next time it shuts off, see if you have fuel in the carb.

ok checked the filter and that was all good, but i went ahead and blew thru the fuel line going towards the tank from the fuel pump and couldnt blow thru so i tried again and blew whatever was blocking it. im pretty sure that was the problem but i still need to take it for a drive again and hopefully that solves the problem

Check for dirt or debris in the needle and seat, and particles in the float system. Had the same problem after i put a couple of gallons of giant in. On a sunday and going twenty miles to my inlaws. My engine did the exactly the same. I have a 700 holley so it was pretty easy. unkadon

im gona definetly check that out too. This problem just drove me crazy for awhile so i want to definetly get it fixed because i got to go to california this weekend and im taking my dart too! its a carter 500 cfm carb.

ok problem is still lingering, ended up changing the gap on the points alittle biger and switched the ballast resistor and it took alittle bit to start up but finally did. runs ok now but cuts out alittle bit at idle. checked Fuel pressure and its 5 1/2 psi wich i believe is stock but not to sure.

its a fairly new distributor, got it last month, unless its taking a crap. it did the same thing last week, cutting out and i checked the points and the gap was smaller so i opened up the gap on the points more and ran fine till now. changed the ballast and opend up the gap more and it runs fine except for at idle, cuts out alittle bit.

Checked the voltage going to the coil from the ballast resistor and its only around 7 volts. also checked the coil and ohmed it out and it reads 1.5. - to + and 11.800 ohms from top coil wire terminal to -. is this within spec???

When you say it is cutting out does the engine completely die or is it sputtering / hesitating?

still having F****** problems. Starts up and idles ok but under load takes a ****. put new coil, wires, spark plugs, fairly new distributor, alternator, fuel pump, ignition wiring. its getting fuel and has spark but the **** IS DRIVING ME FREAKN CRAZY to the point where i want to get rid of the car
Any help would be aprreciated!!!

Is this a points type or electronic Dizzy? If it is points type did you put the grease on the block that rides on the bump cam?

Perhaps you have a bad vacum leak some where, that is what it sounds like to me, suckin air where it should not be...

Its points and its greased. vacuum leak already tried looking around for it and also choked off the carb on top to see if it would still run or not but it checks out fine. another thing i checked timing with the timing lite and i noticed the timing mark on the harmonic balancer was bouncing back & forth a bit.

-
Back