engine problems!!! help please!!

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
so i was out racing around in the valiant and missed a shift, the engine saw about 7200 for a quick second ever sence when i let the clutch out to take off form a stop it has a bad hesitation, it wants to die but if i give it about 1200 rpms and kinda slip it out it will take off. also when cold it wont idle like it used to, it will die unless i keep on the gas. i dont really know what to look for here but its not getting any better, i have looked at the carb and it looks to be squirting plenty of fuel so i have ruled out the accelerator pump, but was thinking of these possibilities, power valve, maybe a weight or spring broke in the distributor. please if anyone has any ideas let me know! i have pre registered for the mopar show in Graham WA. if i cant get this figured out it will just end up being a donation to the mopar club THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Pull the spark plugs and check them carefully. (leave them out but keep in order) Get cylinder pressure readings from all holes. Then pull the valve covers and pushrods for inspection. Then run a straight edge over the top of all the valves . If I had to guess I'd say you bent a pushrod or valve. If the pressure readings somewhere are down, and the things above are all fine, pull the intake to check the cam and lifters, then pull the head to check the pistons on the weak holes.

no its not missing, it runs just as strong as ever once you get past that dead spot thats why i didnt think it would be a bent valve i would think that it would effect performance, but i will be looking into all that!! thanks for all help!

I kind of assumed the timing was checked... Like god said... it's happened to me bofre too...lol

well the timing was alittle high so i backed it down, but no changes got to looking and found out with light pedal pressure the accelerator pump isnt working right im not getting a steady squirt......yea you guessed it, its a demon #-o probly the last one ill ever own. but i called tech support and they told me that with my cam i need to run atleast 16 degrees advance and to take a vac. check cause i didnt know how much vac. it produced, and when i know what the vac. was call them back.... what ya'all think?

Take it apart and check every passage for metal shavings and "hangers" from the machining operations. I do this with the brand dew ones if I get one. Great carbs once they are debugged and set perfectly. Otherwise... not so nice.

thanks moper you nailed it! a shaving under the accelerator pump!! dont these guys that assemble the carbs even look at what they are doing?

-
Back