Engine Rebuilders

-

Mcfarlrm

Reaction score
Looking for a recommendation for a solid engine rebuilder in the Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater, FL area. I have an LA360 that I want mildly built with some bulletproof components. Pretty sure I have a rod bearing on it's way out. I'm getting a ticking noise once the engine is up to temp.

Are you looking for someone to just rebuild the engine or to do the entire job of pull engine , rebuild , reinstall , break in cam , make all necessary adjustments etc ?

Thats going to be hard to find and expensive if you do . I know of someone over on the east coast but nobody in your area.

Are you loosing oil pressure as it warms up? Do you have any oil pressure once it is at operating temperature?

Hi, in both threads you mention a "tick".
A lotta things can tick, and as I mentioned there, a video will be huge help.
A rod will generally squeel, knock or other noises, but I've never heard one "tick".
Maybe a vid ?
Cheers

What's the best way of going about a video? Obviously let it warm up until the ticking begins. Do you need to hear it at idle in park/neutral, rev up RPM's, etc.? I'm slightly new to the classic scene here so go easy on me since I'm learning as I go.

Sometimes the fan blowing across the microphone drowns out the sound.
Kinda shoot the area of the noise then zero in, get closer, rev it a few times if that'll hilite the noise.
Repeat till you think we can hear clearly.

A little bit of diagnosis can go a long way here. A rod bearing failure will show an oil pressure drop as well as knock (not tick) at crankshaft speed. A tick in the valve train will be double crankshaft speed. So there are good reasons to have someone listen to it. Video can work just make sure the audio is not drowned out like said above. An exhaust gasket leaking at the head can sound very much like a valve train tick also. You can isolate the cylinder the problem is on by removing one spark plug wire at a time while the engine is running and if it’s a rod knock the noise will go away.

Check for an exhaust leak as well.
Header gaskets can make a tick sound.
You stated it makes the noise when the engine heats up. Exhaust components heat up and expand.

I can tell you who NOT to use in that area. That would be Clearwater Cylinder Head/Odessa Cylinder head. Same company and terrible reputation. Maybe @Ironracer can help.

Could get a crate engine like from Blue Print engines and have a local shop install.

Dang.....that ain't good! :( Thanks for the update.
No it ain't. I'm worried about them too. They were really going through it with possibly bein evicted and all that.

Ironracer chimed in on few threads I had when I first joined this forum and looked to me in my area.

And?.. your point..?..
As much as I would love a 408, I would be looking for a similar LA360. Highly doubt my 904 trans, rear end and suspension could handle a 408. Unless I am wrong....

How'd we get from lifter noise to Blueprint Replacment,

I'll take the core !
Haha gotta love it. So I need to check my coverter/flexplate. Recently swapped the flexplate and curious to see if I had any bolts back out.

-
Back