Engine Rebuilding Lessons?

-

bkbond12

Old ones need lovin too..
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
So I've only ever rebuilt one engine and that was with help from my Uncle (great guy, just a redneck) and we didn't do anything fancy. Hell, we didn't even plastigauge the new crank and bearings.

Part of my problem is I don't have anyone to show me how to rebuild an engine and do it the "right" way. I was looking on craigslist and found this guy who offers a course for $350, and you buy the parts. I'm not looking to make a monster race engine or anything, but should be getting another vehicle on Sunday and would like to freshen up the engine over the winter.

Long story short....would it be a good idea to talk to this guy?

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/aos/2961802917.html

wow thats great i wish he was closer to me i would love to be able to use his equipment and his shop looks clean and organized i would check him out for sure

well,there are alot of members in your area that would probably help with this.the main thing is to find a machine shop you can trust. then remember a motor cant be to clean even if the shop cleans it. wash it out with gunk and small brushes lots of water then blow dry. do you have the tools to do a rebuild.I wish you were closer...........Artie:coffee2:

well,there are alot of members in your area that would probably help with this.the main thing is to find a machine shop you can trust. then remember a motor cant be to clean even if the shop cleans it. wash it out with gunk and small brushes lots of water then blow dry. do you have the tools to do a rebuild.I wish you were closer...........Artie:coffee2:

Some good advice there.

Unfortunately, I don't have the tools to do a rebuild. My garage was broken into four years ago after our house fire. I've replaced the basics and add more tools when I need to. Funny thing is, I have a car hoist and a nice air compressor, but I don't even have a torque wrench now. Also, I don't know if there are any special tools or even how to use them....I'm kind of like a monkey with a type writer, I can bang on it pretty good and it'll type, but I'm sure it won't be a novel.

I haven't found any members in the area who are big on building engines and I hate asking people for help. I always feel like I'm imposing to do so. That's kind of why I was interested in taking that course because it's not an imposition if he does it for a living.

I have built a few back in the day, I always have my block cleaned and line bored the crank to the block at a gerrrrrrate machine shop I am blest to have near by, and let them install the cam bearings and freeze plugs :thumblef:
But this guy on CL looks to be a good way to get some experience you can use the rest of your life, I agree that if you have a place to do the build at home a little at a time a member close by would be happy to spend a couple hours here and there to give you some help.
Just one more thing, Always enjoy and take your time when you build one :cheers:

Some good advice there.

Unfortunately, I don't have the tools to do a rebuild. My garage was broken into four years ago after our house fire. I've replaced the basics and add more tools when I need to. Funny thing is, I have a car hoist and a nice air compressor, but I don't even have a torque wrench now. Also, I don't know if there are any special tools or even how to use them....I'm kind of like a monkey with a type writer, I can bang on it pretty good and it'll type, but I'm sure it won't be a novel.

I haven't found any members in the area who are big on building engines and I hate asking people for help. I always feel like I'm imposing to do so. That's kind of why I was interested in taking that course because it's not an imposition if he does it for a living.
after I checked him out that is a good deal looks like he has everything to do the job and once you learn it no one can take it away.

My suggestion would be to search for a good book on rebuilding, one specific to your engine. When it comes to tool purchases a 6" vernier caliper is the first thing I would have in my hand, along with paper and pencil during tear down. I prefer the none digital ones. There is so much valuable information that can be gathered while disassembling which gets lost because of rushing disassembly. Critical to mark with punch or engraving on rods, caps and mains of location. When it comes time for more precise measuring the dial indicators and micrometers can be purchased if desired. Don't rush, be orginized and have a plan.

Reading a book is good, but hands on with someone who knows what they are doing, and able to explain and answer questions is great. Having a mentor that can offer their expertise and expensive equipment at a later date for a nominal fee is priceless. I could only dream of having an opportunity to be able to do everything myself. I'd go for it.

Grant

I'm about done building my first engine. Cleaning is the hardest part of the whole thing. Measure everything real good and record your numbers. Plastigauge everything! had I not platigauged my rod bearings I would have not noticed my error and had a rather bad rod knock on all 8 cylinders! Any haynes or chilton books are good for specs and instructions.

The craigslist course might not be bad if you get to use his tools and learn a thing or two.

Talk to the guy and even pay him a visit.

Growing up, I was fortunate that my next door neighbor was a master mechanic and was willing to show me how to do everything. The first thing that he had me do was to read repair manuals before I came to him. That way he didn't have to teach me the basic concepts but was able to give me pointers on the stuff that the books didn't have. Having someone show you how to do things is better than pictures. The teacher can watch and give tips on technique that a book or video can't.

What about a local community college? I took a few classes while I had the time. Auto ,electronics, transmissions and engines. All taught by ASE master mechanics. After the engine class, I was asked to be the T/A for the next year. Unfortunately I moved. I took these classes in my early 30's. I had 2 roll away boxes of my own and still learned alot.

What about a local community college? I took a few classes while I had the time. Auto ,electronics, transmissions and engines. All taught by ASE master mechanics. After the engine class, I was asked to be the T/A for the next year. Unfortunately I moved. I took these classes in my early 30's. I had 2 roll away boxes of my own and still learned alot.

I thought about that, but school is expensive and has a determined schedule. For $350, I'm thinking this guy is a good deal. I've never taken a college or vocational automotive repair class, but I had friends take 3-4 years of auto tech and only learn the basics like brake repair and how to break a rim down etc. At least with this guy, I know that I'll start with my engine and then rebuild it in a comprehensive manner and probably on my own schedule. Also, the ability to use his equipment at a later date for a pretty low price is an added bonus.

I'm going to call him tomorrow, and I'll update everyone with what I find out.

Thanks for the positive responses.

If this is what it claims to be it may be the automotive deal of the century. The knowledge of how to do everything for a rebuild is worth far more than $350 and if he watches to make sure mistakes don't occur it can save a bunch. Just one mistake in the teach yourself, learn as you go method will probably cost a lot more than that!

Please do let us know what you find out.

I think that it's a great idea, especially if he allows you to share in the work while he "assists"!!! Does he have the capabilities to do machining such as boring?? Does he have a hot tank to clean the block?

At $350.00, even if you had to send out the block for some machining I still think it would be money well spent to have it done right, and allow you to work with him to get the internal knowledge and procedures to make this a one time project!! Geof

I think that it's a great idea, especially if he allows you to share in the work while he "assists"!!! Does he have the capabilities to do machining such as boring?? Does he have a hot tank to clean the block?

At $350.00, even if you had to send out the block for some machining I still think it would be money well spent to have it done right, and allow you to work with him to get the internal knowledge and procedures to make this a one time project!! Geof

It looks like he has the machine to do engine boring and valve grinding. It sounded like he doesn't have a hot tank, but contracts that out. I'm going to call him after my nephews b-day party today. I'm gonna make sure he knows a little about mopars and not just chevy/ford.

I just got done talking with Charlie (the rebuilder) and he's worked on all kinds of engines from 36 head super engines to lawn mower engines. Sounded like he knows what he's doing and been doing it for 33 years. He's built engine for Jeff and Linda Bloom (they hold quite a few speedway records). I'm going to go meet him this week and definitely get started on learning a little more. :)

I've watched the Arron Johnson Power Building videos a couple times now, and have picked up a whole lot. I haven't built an engine yet, so I can't say I'm experienced, but I know a whole lot more than before just by watching the DVDs, and it's given me confidence that I could do it. The nice thing about the videos is that you can rewind or rewatch anytime.

But that said, if I found a deal like this in my area, I'd definitely look into it. I'm sure it would be well worth it. I'd supplement it with the Arron Johnson DVDs and be building engines!

-
Back