Engine run in/spring pressure question

-

matty wardle

mopar dedicated
Reaction score
hi guys,i,m running my 451 stroker in on a engine test stand,it has comp cams hydraulic flat tappet ex285hl,the engine has stealth heads with the valve springs that they came with 130# and approx 330# at 600 lift ,the engine is being run in with zzdp zinc addtive and there is gobs of quality assembly lube all over cam lobes and lifters,my question is can i run this in with these springs or should i swap in lighter "run in' springs,run it in then change back to these,i just dont wanna wipe a lobe,i have taken the dampers out does this help

I would pull the smaller dampener out....Standard,high lift hydraulic flat tappet break in.

If you have light spring use them.Make sure it ready to run with fuel in the carb and timing close and good fully charged battery ,you want it to fire up fast with little cranking.

Some observations - the springs on the heads are not strong enough for the cam. Comp wants another 30lbs on the seat and over the nose. Also - the quality of the springs and retainers have been an issue. I'm not sure that was addressed but they were junk in years past so not only are they light but they are lesser quality light. Lastly - if you replace the springs with ones that are correct they will be dual springs - in that case you remove the inner spring - not the dampener. The flat wound dampener should never be removed from a performance spring. The round wire inner spring does.

Thanks for your observations,the heads have been gone over with a good valve job,comp 10 degree retainers and comp 10 degree locks,so can i run it in with these springs and then i,ll swap in the recommended comp sp
rings

-
Back