Engine shakes BADLY!!

-
Sounds not bad, but, definitely seems to have a rich roll to it, and the idle seems high. I've heard a lot happier engines.
I don't recall the cam specs. Did you post them? Found it(page 2); 287/304 advertised.It must have a fairly tight LDA. It's def. raunchier than my old 292/509, which IIRC was on a 108LDA.

this will sound crazy, but unhook the trans, slide it back, support the rear of the engine and fire the engine up, see if it still shakes, if not, you know its in the trans/flexplate/converter.

Great idea but unfortunately it won't work cause the starter ring gear is attached to the torque converter and the starter bolts to the trans housing. Unbolt the trans and converter and there's no way to start it short of installing a flywheel and manual trans bellhousing, which may not be a bad idea. At least that'd rule out the trans and converter

I'm pretty sure when I did my first engine (340) and that engine shook tooI had a different 2500 stall converter, I switched to the new tci 3500 with no cure.

Are you using the same water pump and pulley's you had on the old engine? If so you may try taking all the belts and the bottom pulley off and firing it up and see if something there is causing it. I've seen bent water pump impellers cause a heck of a vibration even if their not bent bad

Are you using the same water pump and pulley's you had on the old engine? If so you may try taking all the belts and the bottom pulley off and firing it up and see if something there is causing it. I've seen bent water pump impellers cause a heck of a vibration even if their not bent bad
Good thought fishy. I once had a vibration and could not pin point it. I had my drive shaft re-tubed and everything else checked out and then a friend told me to take off the fan belt and see what happens, low and be hold the vibration ceased. Come to find out my flex fan had flexed so much that it was pretty much flat. I put a new fan on and no further vibration....

What did you re-use from the first motor.
I would look very hard at every part that is the same.

Try the fan belt first then see if someone will loan you a flywheel and pull trans and see if vibration is in trans. My money is on the trans, converter or flywheel

Hey guys sorry I've been MIA lately.
Got some updates.
First of all that video posted is not my car hahaha. The link I clicked shows a yellow duster. Weird.

Anyways I spoke with my engine builder and the balancer is a neutral one. And he doesn't feel that's the issue.
I replaced the engine mounts with no change.
Today I put an old carter carb on and no change.
I also changed the coil to a msd blaster SS
One thing I noticed when all heated up is how the engine shakes. It's will be smooth for 2-3 seconds then rough for a second or 2. Then back to smooth then rough again.
Then when I crack the throttle open the slightest little bit it shakes like a paint shaker until I add more throttle or let off completely.

have you tried pulling one plug wire at a time while it is shaking ?

If each pull makes the problem worse then you haven't found the problem.
When you find a wire that makes no difference then that cylinder may not be firing all the time.

This could isolate the problem to one cylinder or it could tell you that it has nothing to do with the combustion.

just a thought.

David

try putting a vacuum gauge on it and turn the timing were it gets the most vacuum? im a mechanic. always do what motor likes!

-
Back