engine smoke

-

Dartman1967

Reaction score
got a 273 V8 starts right up and runs smooth-----until I get on it. Under heavy acceleration white/gray smoke clouds appear (lol) any ideas as to an obvious reason?

How often, and for how long do you drive it? Could simply be moisture in the engine.

Does it quit doing it after you have driven it a while?

haven't driven it much, coolant level is fine, doesn't do it when I rev it just under load. Am going to put some dri gas in and see. What do you think?

Thanks for the help

haven't driven it much

OK, so it sits a lot.

When you do drive it do you get it up to temp and drive it for a while? If so, does it still do it?

Like I said, it's probably moisture collecting in the oil/engine. Take it for a good drive and after it has been at operating temp for a while see if it still does it.

Yes. Black smoke is running rich, blue smoke is burning oil, white smoke is burning coolant...

It sounds like you are burning some coolant.

Have you done a compression test to see if maybe a blown head gasket? Intake manifold leak (internally with the water ports).

Had the same issue, changed 2 head gaskets because of it. Realized that's normal, look at other cars before they warm up, white smoke!

White "smoke" can be water vapour. Up here in Canada when its -30 Celsius cars create their own clouds!

As stated let the car warm up to get any water vapour burnt up. But If it continues it is actually smoke, and in that case white smoke is usually coolant.

White is trans fluid also, but not an issue with that car.

Take it out and give a a good run, not just around town, I bet the smoke will clear up since you are not using any antifreeze.
I have several antique cars and every month or so In good weather I take them out and put a good 20 miles on them, they all need run to keep everything working.

Probably just carbon buildup. Blast it out several times and see if it stops. I bet it does.

Have someone driving behind you when you get on it to see if the smoke is coming from under thcar in general or out of tailpipe(s). If not out of the car, then check around the engine to see if you have any oil film on the covers/engine near the PCV/breather, oil on the exhaust manifolds/headers, or any place else under the car. It is either leaking, or blowby past the rings and coming out of the crankcase breather/filler.

If out of the pipes, then make sure of the coloration. Greyish is carbon/rich burning. Oil is bluish-tinted white and pure white is coolant. Your description of white/grey is kinda indeterminant.

Sorry I have been away. I want to thank all of you for the help and suggestions. Couldn't do with out the help. Happy Driving!!!

I finally got the car running--and blew the radiator. Got that fixed and took it out on the highway---noticed light blew smoke when I got on it-----also when I "punched" the 4 barrel at around 65-70 there was no "kick". Anybody have an y ideas as to what the smoke is from and why the 4 barrel didn't "kick in"?

I finally got the car running--and blew the radiator. Got that fixed and took it out on the highway---noticed light blew smoke when I got on it-----also when I "punched" the 4 barrel at around 65-70 there was no "kick". Anybody have an y ideas as to what the smoke is from and why the 4 barrel didn't "kick in"?

Here's a link to the Holley site with videos on how to tune in your carb.

I would start with adjusting the accelerator pump linkage.

Make sure that you have the ignition timing dialed in before you start tuning the carb.

http://holleytv.com/?cat=13

You have to pay attention to if it bogs right off, or comes on and then bogs, to help in tuning.

Here's a link to the Holley site with videos on how to tune in your carb.

I would start with adjusting the accelerator pump linkage.

Make sure that you have the ignition timing dialed in before you start tuning the carb.

Video Blog Posts - Page 1

You have to pay attention to if it bogs right off, or comes on and then bogs, to help in tuning.
Got a tuning guide for a 74 Carter 2barrel? 8028s

Leaking Oil from breather on mine. Not sure if normal blowby or not. Makes a mess tho. PCv is fine.

-
Back