Engine smoking

-

schwinger

1972 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
New to the forum so here we go

i have a 72 dodge dart swinger that has a 1988 318 in it, my problem is that the # 5 cylinder is sucking up oil alot, changed the valve stem seals which i thought were the problem but it wasn't, checked compression on it and it was close to the same as the others and i even switched spark plugs with another cylinder and ran it for a little bit and it was oily big time, i suspect the oil ring but i was wondering what would be best. to rebuild the whole engine or just take the head off and take out #5 piston to change the piston rings?

check the intake gasket too. a friends charger kept fouling only one plug and it ended up being a crack in the gasket right above the lifter valley. it would suck the oil right through the port and right to the plug.

I replaced the intake gasket on my '70 318 and it stopped burning oil. That should be it, everything else oil-leak related has checked out okay.

changed the intake gasket too, i forgot to mention that, i thought that was the problem too, but i was wrong.

If youre moving that much oil through a single cylinder you may have broken rings. The bore is probably scored pretty bad.

Rebuild time.

what type of intake are you using if its the factory intake does it have a plate bolted to the bottom if so, that gasket could be leaking also. just my .02

using the old style edelbrock intake manifold on it, its probably the rings then so i went ahead and took it to the engine shop, still under warrenty so they would tell me more about it on saturday but thanks on the info

You may have a bad ring, but is the engine running well? Any missing? Is that particular cylinder getting a good hot spark? Could it be a bad distributor cap or wire?

-
Back