Engine stalling

-

Dustdevl340

Westie Dad & All Around Mopar Fanatic
Reaction score
Was out in the Duster running a few errands. I was at a stop and gave it a bit of a rev. Heard a loud bang from underneath, scared the crap out of me. Light changed, made it to the next light and as I slowed to a stop, it seemed quiet. engine had stalled and there was something of a hissing sound. Depressed the clutch, motor started, stayed running long as foot was on the gas but would not idle, died again, same sound as before. Whenever I came to a stop, motor died. Lucky close to home so made it ok. Now I need to figure out what the problem is. I'm thinking clutch related. Any ideas on what to look for?

360, 4 speed. Not sure what clutch is in the thing, might be a Mcleod or possibly a Centreforce - I haven't been able to find the piece of paper with this info for a while.

TIA
Steve

Wow, something in the water here, you are number 3 in the last hour or so.

The bang, was it a backfire?

Could have been a backfire, that's what I thought when it happened. Then the stalling and hissing started. Engine runs long as I have even a little pressure on the gas pedal and it is shifting fine.

Steve

If it was a backfire, power valve in carb maybe, might have popped it.

Have you checked the timing to see if it has jumped???

Sounds kinda like a vacuum leak,, that'd be the hiss and stalling..

Check for a vacuum hose blown off, a carb base gskt leak, or something similar, just follow the hiss and you'll likely find the leak.. repair the hiss and it'll likely run fine..

As Badsport mentioned,, If you're running an older Holley,, a backfire can blow out a Power Valve,, causing a flooding condition,, and the exhaust gases will likely cause your eyes to water...

But find the cause of the hiss first,, repair that,, and see how it runs..

cheers

Clutch disc came apart and overlapped itself.
The hissing sound is those pieces dragging and the engine dies because that crap is dragging on the flywheel.

Bets? :D

Clutch disc came apart and overlapped itself.
The hissing sound is those pieces dragging and the engine dies because that crap is dragging on the flywheel.

Bets? :D

That's what I was afraid of. Looks like I'm shut down for the year then. Only a couple or three weeks left any way.

Save up & fix it in the spring.

Thanks,

Steve

Sounds kinda like a vacuum leak,, that'd be the hiss and stalling..

Check for a vacuum hose blown off, a carb base gskt leak, or something similar, just follow the hiss and you'll likely find the leak.. repair the hiss and it'll likely run fine..

As Badsport mentioned,, If you're running an older Holley,, a backfire can blow out a Power Valve,, causing a flooding condition,, and the exhaust gases will likely cause your eyes to water...

But find the cause of the hiss first,, repair that,, and see how it runs..

cheers

Found a small plastic cap rolling around on the intake manifold. Looked like it was supposed to fit over a protrusion on the front of the carb that has a hole in it. Fit like a glove, started the car and voila, no more stalling.

Thanks to all for your help.

Steve

Found a small plastic cap rolling around on the intake manifold. Looked like it was supposed to fit over a protrusion on the front of the carb that has a hole in it. Fit like a glove, started the car and voila, no more stalling.

Steve

If that's the case, I would investigate further. If it was a backfire, you may need another power valve.

What carb?

No power valve in that Eddy. They are pretty bulletproof when it comes to backfires.
However, if it did backfire hard enough to blow that vac plug off, what caused the backfire??

Steve

OH, GOOD!
I'm glad I'm wrong. :D

It could have been just a lean backfire from instant acceleration.
Was it warmed up all the way?

Steve

OH, GOOD!

You didn't feel it in the pedal when it popped? (usually do)

what distributer? i had 2 firecore distributors blow up! weights flew off and mangled? they said they never herd that before????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????msd is the best!

Maybe a few more question marks.

OH, GOOD!

You didn't feel it in the pedal when it popped? (usually do)

I'm glad you were wrong too. :blob:

I think you nailed it on the cause of the backfire though. I'm not sure if I felt it, the bang practically gave me a heart attack. First backfire in the 3 summers I've had it.

Cheers,

Steve

what distributer? i had 2 firecore distributors blow up! weights flew off and mangled? they said they never herd that before????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????msd is the best!

Not Firecores. Mopar Performance.

Yikes, doesn't say much for their quality control.

Cheers,

Steve

-
Back