Engine stand mounted slant 6

-

Vali68

Reaction score
I need to get to the oil pan on my slant 6 that is up right on the engine stand. These motors are prone to be top heavy and not very balanced because of their slant. How should I do this wihtout having a hard time or without the motor wanting to completely go one way or the other on the stand if I release the pin holding it in place right now? I don;t need this thing coming off the stand or better yet falling over on it's side due to the force of it wanting to flip over.

Here is a picture of how I have it mounted on my stand.

Attachments

• 20130707_202514.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 871
  • 20130707_202442.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 590
you cant setup a slant the same way you do a small block, which you have done neither... rule of thumb is align the bore of the stand to the bore for the cam.

on a slant I get the bore of the stand as high as I can twords the head, but centered, not to the cam side.

re adjust and try again

P.S. makes it much easier to pull the head first

you cant setup a slant the same way you do a small block, which you have done neither... rule of thumb is align the bore of the stand to the bore for the cam.

on a slant I get the bore of the stand as high as I can twords the head, but centered, not to the cam side.

re adjust and try again

P.S. makes it much easier to pull the head first

Yes ^^^. You try to rotate it the way it is and you may get rotated right along with it. Remount it and get closer to the center of gravity.

I'm not sure I follow what you are telling me. Sometimes I can be a blockhead too. You mean I have it mounted wrong to begin with? It seems to be stable the way it is. Just can't see how I can rotate it to get to the oil pan while it's on the stand. I don't want it taller on the stand than it needs to be. I guess I have it mounted too high?

Look at your photos. The bearing for the stand is nearly in line with your crank. You want the bearing (pivot) of the stand up higher on the engine. As said earlier, if you move the sliding mount adapters so that the stand plate puts the pivot "up" in line with the camshaft (V8) this makes things less top heavy.

You can rig your engine hoist / come along to hoist the engine and reposition the stand. This might be easier said than done, don't forget that you can turn the fingers on the stand "any" direction so for the top two it might be helpful to point them "down" for the top bolts with the bolt heads "down" and the plate ends "up."

Remount the engine so it is closer to the floor.

i.e. the crank shaft is lower then the center of the engine stand.

-
Back