Engine Storage Issues

-

TheCrazyCheesehead

Reaction score
Alright guys i know it has been a while sence i posted last and what not. But the question is what is the best way to store a never ran engine for a undermined amount of time. The reason i ask is that i have decided to join the navy and i am not sure where i am going to be stationed and i don't want my engine to rust out until i get back to work on it. Ideas, thoughts, comments really wanted from you old guys. It is a 69 340 out of a cuda.

later.

You can store it in my Duster for a few years if you'd like, I'll take real good care of it!

In all seriousness, I'm not really sure, rust is a hard Demon to keep away, maybe buy enough oil to submerge the entire engine...

If it has never been fired, back off all the rocker shaft bolts, to close all the valves..Tape up all the ports that are exposed. If is complete, as in intake, oil pan, etc., then just keep it in a storage area that is constant temperature, and fairly dry. hit it with WD40, let it dry, then put it in a large trash bag or 2, squeeze out the sir, and tape it shut. Then, ignore it. Dont peak, or break the seal. It cannot be stored outside, under a tarp, or under a roof, but not enclosed. An unheated agarage is OK, just leav the door(s) down. The change of temp will cause rust to form on any exposed metal.

Thanks Guys for the info wasn't sure if i was thinking right or not my mind is a bit frazzeled making sure everything is in order seen as i leave on 28th of sept.

Later the Crazy Cheesehead who will stay in touch.

-
Back