Engine swap, new K-member or swap kit??

-

74scamp360

Reaction score
Hey guys i've been doing some reaserch and recently found that there are engine swap kits so that you don't have to go and buy a new K-member. I am doing a slant 6 to a 360 and saw that schumacher creative industires (http://www.engine-swaps.com/) makes a swap kit so that you can use the slant 6 k-member and just use these special motor mounts. Has anyone ever used this kit?? Would you guys reccomend this or should i stay away from this?? Thanks a lot for you help it's greatly appretiated.

I did. It was really easy to do, and the V-8 fit like it came from the factory. In fact it went sooo smooth, I thought something was wrong.

Yes I did. It was sad to take out the 6, but when I heard the new 360 that I put in, I didnt miss the old motor at all. Check out my pics in my gallery.

hmm okay this is really cool so as with all these people buying how does it work? Like who do i send the money to?? also i'm canadian. Thanks for the tip that's awesome.

The ones slappy has for sale is for a '70. 74scamp360 has a well... a 74.

74scamp, just reply to the post that you are interested. You are #11 so everyone can get these for $100.00.

Shipping for Canada was $45.00.

Mick Semantel- Very cool! I was looking at your pics too. Hows that 8 1/4 hanging in there for you? How did you mount that tach?

I'll be doing the same soon. I'm sure I'll have questions for you! :)

Thanks.

Mick Semantel- Very cool! I was looking at your pics too. Hows that 8 1/4 hanging in there for you? How did you mount that tach?

I'll be doing the same soon. I'm sure I'll have questions for you! :)

Thanks.

myasylum, the 8 1/4 is holding up great. The sure grip and 3.55's are night and day compared to the 7 1/4 I took out. The tach is mounted on a bent piece of aluminum. I drilled the holes for the tach, then tucked the alum under the dash pad. I didnt want to drill into anything, in case I wanted to turn the car back into stock appearing. I ran the wires through the dash vent.

Mick Semantel, I just noticed as well where you had your tach mounted. i love that and would be really interested in doing that as well because i don't want to mess up my dash either. is the steel plate fastened to anythin or is it just slipped under there? If it's just slipped under there do you ever have any troubles with it moving around??

Mick Semantel, I just noticed as well where you had your tach mounted. i love that and would be really interested in doing that as well because i don't want to mess up my dash either. is the steel plate fastened to anythin or is it just slipped under there? If it's just slipped under there do you ever have any troubles with it moving around??

Nope, no problems at all with it moving around.

There's a used set on eBay right now, buy it Now for 75 bucks.

Now i got to thinking and what do you have to do as far as a transmission mount?? Do the different mounts change the transmission mount as well??

As far as I understand, if you have a 904 transmission everything bolts up (other then motor mounts) if you have a 7? I forgot now? The other transmission then you have to have the drive shaft shortened.

If I'm wrong, someone let me know,

Thanks!

The rear mount hardpoint on ALL RWD Mopar automatic transmissions was the same from like 1961 on. Just replace the insulator and bolt it in.

You might need to shorten the driveshaft if you replace a 904 with a 727.

The 904 off the slant 6 will not bolt up to the 360. The bell housing is different. If you already have a 904 off a Small block v-8 it will bolt up and in with no modifications. I am not sure about the 727. If you are keeping the stock rear end in the car, you don't have to worry about shortening the drive shaft. If you deciced to get a bigger rear end, then the drive shaft will have to be cut to fit.

-
Back