Engine swap power steering problems

-

BlueDream

Aspiring Mopar enthusiast
Reaction score
This past weekend I got the 225 out of the dart and there's a 318 happily running in the dart now, which is great. However I can't find a power steering hose that will fit the pump on the 318 and the box on the dart. The Dart is a 73 model but originally came with manual steering so the box isn't original and has an o-ring type fitting that screws into it and the power steering pump on the 318 has a flanged fitting. I can't find a hose with the right fittings, has anybody else ran into this problem? I'd really like to get my car driving again, thanks!

Have you looked at one for a 73 that came with a 318 and power steering?

What did the 318 come out of?

Have you looked at one for a 73 that came with a 318 and power steering?

What did the 318 come out of?

The 318 is from a '68 Plymouth Fury III so i'm told. I tried the hose for the Fury and its way too long and the fittings are wrong, the Dart hose was also wrong. I've got the hoses that came with the motor and I've still got the hoses that were being used on the car. So I've got both ends that I need I just can't find one that's already made that way. Would it be ok to take the two hoses I know work and do some creative engineering to make one frankenhose?

The 318 is from a '68 Plymouth Fury III so i'm told. I tried the hose for the Fury and its way too long and the fittings are wrong, the Dart hose was also wrong. I've got the hoses that came with the motor and I've still got the hoses that were being used on the car. So I've got both ends that I need I just can't find one that's already made that way. Would it be ok to take the two hoses I know work and do some creative engineering to make one frankenhose?

you can go to NAPA and have them look up a cross reference (with pictures and description) for you .. that is what I had to do for a b body that went from manual to power , /6 to 440 . took a bit of looking but found a ready made piece. Or go to a hydraulic shop and show em both ends and how you want it to bend using umm copper tubing,coat hanger or whatever to get the shape right. (this is usually more expensive too! unless he cuts you a break)

you can go to NAPA and have them look up a cross reference (with pictures and description) for you .. that is what I had to do for a b body that went from manual to power , /6 to 440 . took a bit of looking but found a ready made piece. Or go to a hydraulic shop and show em both ends and how you want it to bend using umm copper tubing,coat hanger or whatever to get the shape right. (this is usually more expensive too! unless he cuts you a break)

This^^^. Sometimes some parts stores make hydraulic hoses, they do around here because we are in a farming community so it helps the farmers especially..

If you have both hoses and both ends, it might be possible for them to splice the two together.

Just make sure the length and bends are correct.

If you go to a "real" hydraulic hose house...........even here in the small cow-town of Spokane one such place is "House of Hose".......... and IF you have useable metal ends, regardless of what is BETWEEN those ends, they can build a hose

We used to do this years ago, chop off the ends and braze (or hi temp silver solder -braze) the metal ends into drilled JIC fittings. Then just make a hose to suit

Then, Weatherhead and their competitors came out with special hose ends which clamp (compression fittings) right onto metal tube

One such fitting is type O6U-755 (5/16 tube) and O6U-756 (3.8 tube)

You saw off the metal tube, make the hose to length and crimp the hose ends, then insert the tubes and tighten the nuts.....

DV_WebLarge_P_6184.jpg

I had to find out the hard way when mine blew... Make sure you get the V8 hose as the S6 one comes up right next to the exhaust manifold.

New one was for a V8 '68 Dart, my old one was off of a S6 '73 or older box I believe.

-
Back