engine swap question

-

river rat

Reaction score
I just finished removing the tired old 273/2bl from my 67 cuda and installed a 69 block 318/4bl.

Question is, in order to get the 318 lined up correctly and leveled, i had to use a taller motor mount on the passenger side.

The 904 trans went into the crossmember just fine.

Has anyone ran into this issue? The car is an original 273/2bl.

What are you using for engine - to - mount brackets?

What means "taller mounts" as they don't come taller shorter for your car body, possibly the old ones were compacted?

How far do you figure you moved it, IE how much taller was this "taller mount" and what does the mount fit?

I have seen cars with shims under the mounts

I used the mounting brackets from the 273. For the driver side, i used a thicker motor mount from a /6 to v8 conversion. The /6 mount is about 1/4" thicker that the v8 mount.

I just did the exact same thing in my 67 barracuda- switch from a '67 273 to a '73 318 and I used the same mounts (except new) without difficulty.

I just did the exact same thing in my 67 barracuda- switch from a '67 273 to a '73 318 and I used the same mounts (except new) without difficulty.

Dang! For the life of me I could not figure out why it would not fit correctly with the 273 mounts.

Can you be more specific? Same mounts as ?what? You used all 67 parts, or all 73 parts?

I put a used 360 in my 67 Dart, I used the original 273 brackets. That engine came with the huge van Bx00 brackets. I needed one more hole in the passenger bracket, was able to bolt one pickup bracket over the top of the 273 bracket, bolt them together, and drill the extra hole

On the driver side, I needed an extension below the bracket. Wish I'd taken photos. I bolted the 273 bracket to the engine, took a piece of ??3/8 X 1 1/2" strap, trimmed it to fit, and attached to the original bracket. Don't remember, I think I drilled and bolted it to the bracket. Wish I'd taken photos.

My recollection is that the van brackets use the same "pad" mounts as the 273, so I just picked the 2 that were in the best shape. It seemed to go in per normal.

If the engine isn't visibly horribly out of level (you DID check body level?) I would not worry too much. After all, when you are driving on a typical crowned road, it's sure not level.

Not worried too much, the engine and trans are sitting pretty darn level. I was just curious what others have experienced.

on a factory 66 273 dart I had to turn the passengers side mount sideways to put the 318 into in, don't know why but it didn't change the level-ness of the engine but wouldn't fit without doing this

.the /6 conversion mount for that side is a truck style bracket and uses a fairly thick biscuit.
.maybe the previous owner did the conversion with a standard biscuit and the conversion mount?

.the /6 conversion mount for that side is a truck style bracket and uses a fairly thick biscuit.
.maybe the previous owner did the conversion with a standard biscuit and the conversion mount?

The 69 block is suppose to be from a truck. where the truck and car blocks really different?

We need pics. changing over, it seems I had to move the drivers side bracket to the front of the ears, then shim up 1/4".

..a lot can happen over the years.
.the blocks are the same.
..a slant k frame would require the conversion mount and large biscuit.

-
Back